No communication with computer

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mjordan

No communication with computer

Post by mjordan »

I attempted to connect the Arduino Uno to my computer (Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate) via USB, but there appears to be no communication between the computer and the Arduino. I cannot get to the point where I can install a driver, because the computer does not notice a new hardware connection; nothing new shows up in Device Manager, and the appropriate COM port does not show up in the Arduino IDE.

I have tried multiple USB cables on multiple USB ports, and I have also tried it with my Macbook Pro to no avail.

When plugging in the USB, the "On" LED lights, and the on-board LED blinks, as per the default sketch. Just no communication with the computer.

I have consulted these instructions, but nothing has seemed to solve my problem so far:
Through the googles I have found others suggesting a reset of the 8U2 firmware (via these instructions) but that seems a bit invasive for a brand new board.

Is this a common thing?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: No communication with computer

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It sounds like the main microprocessor is alive, but the 8U2 is unresponsive. The firmware reset is worth a shot if you want to try it.
Was this board purchased from Adafruit?

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

Thanks for the advice!

I followed the instructions to put the 8U2 chip in DFU mode, but it still seemed unresponsive, as the computer still did not indicate a connection, and Flip was unable to connect to it.

Yes, I purchased the Uno from Adafruit as part of the Arduino Uno Starter Pack.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Contact [email protected] about a replacement and link to this thread in your message.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

Thanks a lot for all your help! I have emailed support. Despite the issue with the board itself, I really love the stuff that comes with the kit, thanks for putting such a thing together!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”