Question before purchase - LCD with arduino

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lowena

Question before purchase - LCD with arduino

Post by lowena »

Hey guys! Before I buy the Arduino starter pack I was wondering what extra parts (if any) I would need to connect an LCD to it. Specifically this LCD.

I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible, but if they are, please let me know too.

Thank you very much!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Question before purchase - LCD with arduino

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

All you need to connect that display to the arduino is some wires, and the starter pack comes with a bunch of jumper wires.

Have a look at our tutorial to see what's involved.

Note that the tutorial uses a breadboard to support the wire connections. The starter pack has a prototyping shield, which is similar but different. Breadboards do not require you to solder your wires. You must solder wires to the proto board.

What would be easier for you would be the shield version of that display. That simply plugs directly into the arduino - no wiring required.

The shield version also has 5-way joystick control, which the breakout does not.

Also note that the MicroSD card is not included with either. You can order one here

lowena

Post by lowena »

Awesome! Thank you very much, that was a very well thought-out answer. :)

It's great to see that it's easy to connect them together.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know if this kit comes with everything required too?

I'd rather buy that today and order the screen, so I have something to do in the meantime.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Gee - I hate to sound like a homer, but for the same $65, you get WAYYYYY more stuff with the Adafruit starter pack.
9V regulated power supply, USB cable, battery case with switch & plug, protoshield kit, 65 jumper wires, more resistors, more LEDs, pots, buttons, photocell sensor... The extras would cost you an extra $65 at RS.

And the Adafruit kit does have a breadboard after all - I forgot that it was in there!

If you decide to go with RS, though, make sure that you're getting a Uno R3 - that's the latest version. (Of course, we are shipping the R3).

To anser the specific question - IF you go for the breakout board version of the display instead of the shield version, the RS kit does not supply the jumper wires you will need to connect the display. The jumper wires in the Adafruit kit are extremely handy.

If you go with the shield version of the display, then you will have everything you need with either kit.

lowena

Post by lowena »

After further reading, I think a Raspberry Pi is more for me. I'm more interested in programming than electronics, so that seems the best bet.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”