Did I get the right stuff

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
funinalaska

Did I get the right stuff

Post by funinalaska »

I am a total n00b at building/modding/hacking/developing/programming.
I have placed an order from Adafruit because I want to learn.
My primary purpose is to learn to control addressable RGB LEDs.
I ordered:
The ARDX V1.3
Some breadboard friendly Neopixels
Some Neopixel Strips
and some WS2812 5050s

I do have a lot of experience in soldering and working with electronic components, just not with developing my own projects.

I am hoping between the kit, the tutorials and the additional components I will get some of the knowledge I need to make a more elaborate LED display and some of the rudimentary programming experience I will need to start some of my own from scratch.

So did I start going in the right direction?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Did I get the right stuff

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. That looks like a good list of parts to get you going. The Neopixels are really great to work with because they come in so many different form-factors. You can put them together in infinitely different ways, but they are all programmed the same.

funinalaska

Post by funinalaska »

Thanks Bill, That at least gives me confidence in my purchase, Now if I could just wrap my head around C. :?
I cant wait till my package gets here.
I am hoping that working through the tutorials will help to settle some of my confusion and make things more clear.

funinalaska

Post by funinalaska »

So I got all my stuff I ordered from Adafruit a while ago, I have since placed and received a second order.
I also bought a used Arduino Nano (?) (The little one that can plug into a breadboard) from a guy and he threw in a whole bunch of goodies for me.
Now I have all kinds of things to play with in my not so existent free time.

My point... I am slowly getting familiar with coding, but I need help with one thing.
When you are writing a code and are including a library.
#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
(for example)
Is there any way to get a list of all the functions of the library and at least the parameters required to use them.
There are a few libraries I have that I want to get more information on.
The Neopixel for one, the LOL shield for another, and the LCD shield are ones off the top of my head.
I am sure as I go through this box of stuff I will have a ton more questions but these are things I am fooling around with right now.

And just as a side note, My last order with Adafruit I picked up a couple Trinkets. Those things are awesome to run a few Neopixels from with a USB power pack.

Thank you to anyone that can help me out with the above mentioned problem with libraries.
I am open to the fact that I am just a dumb n00b and it is a really simple answer.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Neopixel library documentation can be found here: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... e/overview
For most products, you can find the relevant documentation links on the product description page. (Usually under the "Tutorials" tab).
For 3rd party products like the LOL shield, there will be links to the manufacturer's site for documentation.
And the ultimate reference is always the library itself. If you open up the .h file, it will have the definitions for all the functions in the library.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”