Missing LED's, and extra pushbutton.

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deadguy71

Missing LED's, and extra pushbutton.

Post by deadguy71 »

I just received my adafruit starter kit: Starter Pack for Arduino (Includes Arduino Uno R3) - 1.0 http://www.adafruit.com/products/68
Two things I wanted to alert you to:

#1- The description says there's supposed to be "one each of red, green and blue ultra-bright LED." My kit didn't come with any of those.

I see the other LED's including 3 whites, a separate baggy of the 5 red LEDS, and the smaller green & red LED's for the protoshield (in the protoshield baggy).

#2- I also see an extra pushbutton in the bag too (two were "joined" so it was an understandable oversight IMHO). To confirm, I have a total of 4 pushbuttons:
1 in the bag with the protoshield, and then 3 more in the bag which holds the 15 resistors, two potentiometers, 3 white LED's, 1 Photosensor Cell, and 4 rubber feet.

I wouldn't have mentioned the missing LED's, but my girlfriend was insistent. :) If the normal procedure would be to simply ship me the 3 LED's, let me know, and rather than waste the shipping, you can just drop them into my next order (coming soon). I'm also happy to pay for the extra Pushbutton you sent, if you'd like to bill me on it.

I meant to order a breadboard sized to fit the "Arduino Mounting plate /274" I got with this last order, because I don't even have a soldering iron to set-up the protoshield with, let alone have any experience in doing so, but apparently I forgot to put it in the basket, so I'll be ordering that in the next few days or so.

Thanks very much for your time, and I look forward to tinkering with this thing.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Missing LED's, and extra pushbutton.

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Just to double-check, have you hooked up the existing LEDs to confirm their colors? I'm willing to bet that the three 'white' ones are the red, green, and blue ultra-brights.. they just have transparent envelopes.

Confirming it can be your first project with the new gear:

- plug the leads on one of the 100 ohm resistors into the breadboard
- plug the LED into the breadboard so the short lead is in the same row of holes as one of the resistor leads
- connect GND to the long lead on the LED
- connect VCC to the free lead on the resistor

and the LED should light up.

When you're breadboarding, you always want to use a resistor in series with the LED. Without the resistor, the LED can draw too much current and burn out. There are chips that can drive LEDs directly, but they basically have a complicated version of a resistor in series with the LED too.

WRT the extra pushbutton switch, that's a freebie. When you buy them by the thousand they don't cost much. Use it to build something awesome. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”