switches not fitting in breadboard

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
j.cohn

switches not fitting in breadboard

Post by j.cohn »

Hi I am having trouble getting the push button switches and potentiometers to fit into the breadboard. It seems like the leads are not long enough to make contact. Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: switches not fitting in breadboard

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Which switches and pots are you referring to?

j.cohn

Post by j.cohn »

The small push button switches and potentiometers in the starter kit.

If I make the circuit without the switch in place and manually make the connections I can get it to work, but when I try to use the switch or pot it doesn't and I can't figure out the problem. Based on trial and error it seemed that they aren't going deep enough into the breadboard to make a connection but maybe I am doing something else wrong...

adafruit_support_rick

I don't have any of those switches, but I haven't had any trouble with the pots. The leads are quite long enough. But they are easy to bend - is it possible that yours have crumpled up?

j.cohn

Post by j.cohn »

I will investigate more with the pots - but the leads are just short on the other switches... Some seem ok but others just don't seem long enough. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for your feedback so far.

adafruit_support_rick

I've never heard of this happening. You're using the breadboard that comes with the pack, right? Is it just some holes that are a problem, or is it the same everywhere?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sometimes it helps to straighten them out a bit with pliers

j.cohn

Post by j.cohn »

I'm not sure exactly - just trying to troubleshoot some student problems. I am going to ask the students to write a specific question tomorrow when they face the issue.
What I experienced when I build project 2 (spaceship interface) myself today was that it didn't work with the switch installed, but I was able to manually control it by putting the signal high and low.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”