Conductive Thread Burning?

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lanerebel

Conductive Thread Burning?

Post by lanerebel »

Hi, my Flora Sensors Starter Pack just arrived today. When I ordered I didn't think (or even know) to get alligator clips too, so in my excitement to play with it I just used the conductive thread it came with. Of course, I don't even have a cross stitch hoop, so I just did my best to wire it up on a table. I was able to get one of the LED examples working, but when I bumped the table at one point, I noticed the thread started smoking. The lights continued working, and the Flora remained on as well, so I'm pretty sure I disconnected everything in time to stop any damage.

Being a complete newb to electronic projects, that lead me to 2 questions:

1. If two threads connecting the board to a module touch, is that what caused the burning?
2. Why the heck doesn't the sensor starter pack come with alligator clips like the GPS one does?

Joe

Agent_24

Re: Conductive Thread Burning?

Post by Agent_24 »

Since the conductive thread is not insulated, if two wires touched together, it would have caused a short circuit and that would account for burning.

lanerebel

Post by lanerebel »

Thanks @agent_24. So when one is just getting started, I'm assuming the easiest way to go is alligator clips? I've seen some videos where they use copper strips to connect boards, is that easier?

Agent_24

Post by Agent_24 »

Yes, for prototyping your design, insulated jumper leads or something similar would be a good idea. You could also use standard hook-up wire, strip the ends and tie them on in a similar way that one would attach the conductive thread.

I have not seen the copper strips you are referring to, but since I expect they would be uninsulated you risk the same problems with accidental short circuits.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”