Stepper Motor Begining! ThuntDon

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ThuntDon

Stepper Motor Begining! ThuntDon

Post by ThuntDon »

Okay, I might of skipped the part that tells me all this, but all I wanted to do was run a stepping motor at different speeds and direction. I got the motor shield from Adafruit, and a Uno R3 + motor. I've hooked everything up correctly, tried to upload both the AFMotor and then the MotorKnob. Adafruit says you must load AFMotor first, then I guess you load MotorKnob last? This is where I get lost! How do you combine both of these two programs, so they will operate as one? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Please when answering don't assume I know anything about programing (that's why I'm trying this project to get acquainted will "simple" programing)! I have a good knowledge of electronics but not anything to do with computer programing. Now I was able to upload the sample light blinker, and change the values to get it to blink at a different rate, but no luck with the stepper motor samples! Thanks ahead of time for any and all helpful tips. Don

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper Motor Begining! ThuntDon

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

AF_Motor is for the V1.x motor shield. We discontinued those several years ago. AF_Motor does not work with our current V2 motor shield.

The tutorial and links for the V2 motor shield library are here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... l-software

ThuntDon

Post by ThuntDon »

Bill,
Okay did that. I was able to load the "StepperTest" sketch indicated, but still no motor movement! Does it automatically go thru the different steps with only that sketch loaded?
I'm still at a lost, I have a pot on analog input 0 that I can change the voltage 0-+5 volts. What control does that have? I read somewhere that was one of the tests I was to do. Boy am I confused!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please post a link to the motor and power supply you are using. And post a photo of how you have everything connected. StepperTest does not have any code for reading the pot. It just runs the motor.

ThuntDon

Post by ThuntDon »

Bill,
Okay I found out that I had the motor placed on the M1 M2 ports, and should of been on the M3 M4 ports (found that by reading the code of the program). I have it running and have been able to set different speeds and cycles.
Thanks for your help, now I will go at it a little bit at a time.
Don

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”