Newbie with a Gemma kit: Where do I start?

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
anevaude

Newbie with a Gemma kit: Where do I start?

Post by anevaude »

Hi Adafruit community,

I received a wonderful Gemma starter kit as a gift, but I have no idea where to start. I read the Introducing Gemma page, but it's difficult for me to understand when I don't even know what a "Pinout" is. I'm a complete newbie, but can't find a page that is specifically targeting complete newbies. So I'm a little embarrassed, especially because I'm a front end developer by trade. I'm excited to start the Adafruit adventure, but I just can't find where the path begins.

1. Is the Gemma kit for making 1 specific thing? Or do I have to find a thing to make and find its tutorial?
2. I'm slightly confused between Adafruit and Arduino and what each is. Should I be looking an Intro to Arduino materials?
3. How much of an expert should I be on inputs, voltages, soldering, wires, etc before I touch anything?

Thank you in advance. Honestly, feel free to explain things to me as if I were a five-year-old. Sometimes it's easier to put that out there.

Franklin97355

Re: Newbie with a Gemma kit: Where do I start?

Post by Franklin97355 »

1. Is the Gemma kit for making 1 specific thing? Or do I have to find a thing to make and find its tutorial?
2. I'm slightly confused between Adafruit and Arduino and what each is. Should I be looking an Intro to Arduino materials?
3. How much of an expert should I be on inputs, voltages, soldering, wires, etc before I touch anything?
1. The Gemma is a small (in size and capabilities) microprocessor that was designed for wearable projects but that is not to say it can't be used for other projects as well.
2. Adafruit is a company in New York that makes boards and devices for the hobby community and recently became the manufacturer of the Arduino boards (at least some of them). Arduino is the creator of a board used to allow users to learn and utilize microprocessors in their projects.
3. You don't need to be an "expert" but you will have to learn a few things as you progress toward "ultimate knowledge"
There are plenty of tutorials to give you ideas and just take it slow, don't let anything bother you too much as you start. Make sure you read and understand the information in the tutorials before starting, ask questions if you need help (be specific in your questions please) and emjoy your new found obsession.

anevaude

Post by anevaude »

Thank you!

Does Adafruit have an area where I can submit feedback or suggestions? Perhaps as I am learning, I can offer helpful information about how a new user learns to use Adafruit.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Depends on what you are doing. There is a Wearables forum and a Trinket(like a Gemma but not designed to be sewn) a general projects forum and an Arduino forum

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”