FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable PRODUCT ID: 70

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
harrzack

FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable PRODUCT ID: 70

Post by harrzack »

This is def a BANNED built cable for hooking to Arduino's and any other FTDI interface. BUT - the heavy duty cable is quite stiff, and when hooked from my USB hub to a Mini Pro on the desktop - the 'tail wags the dog'! The cable is hard to manage as it goes where it wants - hard to curl it up and make a compact arrangement. For Arduino use, a much lighter cable would suffice... Not sure if that super tough version is needed for this sort of work.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable PRODUCT ID: 70

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, they are well made cables. That is the way they come to us from FTDI. Sometimes I'll end up taping it to the bench when working on things. The FTDI friend is another option. You can plug that into your processor and use a lightweight USB cable of your choice to connect to the computer.

And thanks for the feedback. I'll mention it to the product team.

marine_hm

Post by marine_hm »

I was on the Huzzah product description page: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... odemcu-lua
And noticed 2 different cables being used. one with six wires and one with only four. Are my eyes deceiving me? Your console cables: https://www.adafruit.com/products/954
only have four wires and the FTDI cable: https://www.adafruit.com/product/70
has six wires but looks like a solid plastic end to connect to the pins. Do they peel apart? My apologies, can you explain the difference? I don't know...

I was going to make a purchase and want to make an educated buy. I'm still learning, so I want to do some exploring. I'd like to try sending sketches to an MCU via the pins rather than usb. Some items don't support serial communication via usb.. I'm experimenting with some nRF24L01 chips as well as Wemos and most likely get a Huzzah. Which cord will work best? FTDI friend? I was thinking the FTDI friend would be a good choice. does it switch from 5V to 3.3V? (YES it does/sort-of).

adafruit_support_bill

The FTDI cable has 6 pins. In addition to power, ground, Rx and Tx, it has flow-control pins: DTR and CTS. Most microcontrollers do not use these signals for flow control. Some (like the Arduino) use DTR to trigger a reset on connection.

The console cable has just power, ground, Rx and Tx.

For Arduino use, or with any processor that has a 6-pin FTDI header, the FTDI cable or FTDI Friend is the better choice. For other processors, the console cable offers more flexibility in connection because the individual pins are separate.

marine_hm

Post by marine_hm »

So, for other than arduinos, you can use the FTDI friend, male/female jumper cables will work just as well?

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, that should work just as well.

marine_hm

Post by marine_hm »

Is the console cable the same as FTDI but lose wires? With some sort of usb/serial converter?

adafruit_support_bill

Basically yes. I think these use the Prolific USB/Serial chip. Pretty much equivalent to the FTDI, but from a different manufacturer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”