Help creating horizontal bar graph

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
the_prawn

Help creating horizontal bar graph

Post by the_prawn »

Hi all, I'm extremely new to programming and am fumbling my way through so far.
I purchased a Uno, breadboard and 16x2 RGB negative backlight LCD, as well as a MPX4250AP pressure sensor.
My goal is to build a boost sensor/gauge for the turbo on my car.
So far, I'm doing OK. I've got a pot hooked up in place of the actual sensor for testing but everything seems to be going as it should - keep in mind I'm cutting and pasting and modifying bits of code and trying to get them to work together.
On my top line I have a reading of boost pressure in PSI, calibrated to my location/altitude, starting from the left. I have a dividing line "|" at position 10 and after that I have the peak/max boost value stored (resets when engine/power off).
I also have the display set so that it changes colour when a critical boost (eg overboost) pressure is reached.
I'm pretty happy with all that so far!

Now, my problem is I would like a horizontal bar graph on the second line coming from the left side, just as a visual representation and just because I have an empty second line.
I'm able to write characters to the second line but not much else. So far I just have it displaying "bar graph here".

I've downloaded and installed the LCDBarGraph library from arduino.cc but am now at a loss as to how I code it to display my graph. I need to get it to read the pressure values from "analogue 0" where the sensor will be installed, then I assume I can use a pot to adjust and calibrate my graph to the pressure range I want? I've been searching for a week or so but am struggling to find appropriate code that I can modify to suit my needs and my skill is not up to making it from scratch yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

the_prawn

Re: Help creating horizontal bar graph

Post by the_prawn »

OK, I've inserted the following code into the void loop

lcd.setCursor(0,1);
lbg.drawValue( analogRead(sensorPin), 1024);

and now I get my bar graph but its on line one. Sad face.

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

The LCD row and column numbers start at 0. The columns will then have a range of 0-15 and the rows will be 0-1. To use the top row, set the cursor to 0,0. If the bar graph range is the same as columns then you will need to map the ADC range 0-1023 to the LCD range 0-15. It will be easier to just divide the ADC reading by 64 to keep the bar on the screen.

PS - It appears that the bargraph command already has the correct scaling built in to the library. See link in the following post.
Last edited by arctic_eddie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

the_prawn

Post by the_prawn »

Cheers Eddie, I had seen that blog before but missed the part where he edited the library to set the graph on line 2.

Problem solved, thanks for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”