Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control

by rahatmaini on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm

I need to control a relatively small RC floor drone. I need to pick an implementation of the "remote" control part. I will either pick the Mini Remote Control paired with an IR sensor, or a Simple RF M4 Receiver acting as input to Arduino. I have very little knowledge about the Mini Remote Control, hopefully it is not very difficult. I can probably use the Simple RF M4 very easily, it sounds dead simple. What I am worried about, is latency, accuracy, range of IR, all the stuff essential for a smooth experience. I don't want to have to point right at the IR sensor, or have to wait for the system to register my commands.

Bottom line: I need accuracy, super low latency and high responsiveness. I really only need to have a 4-button controller, but it would actually be wonderful if the Mini Remote Control with IR sensor is the better one of the two, as I would love all those extra controls.

Price does not matter here, the M4 with its own remote is more expensive, but if better, I will pay. Mini Remote with IR is dirt cheap, but if it compromises, I will not pay.

:D

rahatmaini

Re: Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control

by rahatmaini on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Ok, maybe my post was too long and/or confusing.

All I want to know is which has longer range and is faster.

Thats it. Faster and long range

rahatmaini

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't tested them head-to-head, but I would expect the RF unit to be the better unit for your purposes. Range on the IR is pretty good with direct line-of-sight. But if the receiver is not aimed at the transmitter, your range will depend greatly on how many reflective surfaces are nearby.

adafruit_support_bill

by rahatmaini on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Can the Mini Remote paired with an IR sensor detect long presses? Like the R4 M4?

rahatmaini

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Yes, but not with the same timing resolution. The mini-remote will re-transmit the code repeatedly while you hold the button down.

adafruit_support_bill