Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Continuous Rotation Servo backwards compatible with Standard Servo
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Continuous Rotation Servo backwards compatible with Standard Servo

by rahatmaini on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm

There is a ton of code out there that works only with standard servos because they rotate 180 degrees. Because that is a range of 0-180, sketches on the Arduino can use functions like map(); perfectly.

I want to be able to use a joystick to control two continuous rotation servos in a pan-tilt system. I can already do this although it is not precise and perfect at all. I want to use Standard Servo code with Continuous rotation servos.

I need to have my Continuous Rotation Servos behave like Standard Servos temporarily. How?

:?:

rahatmaini

Re: Continuous Rotation Servo backwards compatible with Standard Servo

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

I need to have my Continuous Rotation Servos behave like Standard Servos temporarily. How?

This is not possible. A continuous rotation servo is a standard servo with the physical stops removed and the feedback circuit disconnected from the shaft. Without feedback a servo cannot determine its position.

adafruit_support_bill

by Arctic_Eddie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

You can try Dynamixel servos. They are continuous rotation, high precision, absolute positioning, and digital control using either RS485 or half-duplex RS232. The AX-12 series will work but the RX, MX, and EX series are much better, but quite expensive. The later are 4096 steps per revolution.
Arctic_Eddie

by rahatmaini on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks ArcticEddie!

rahatmaini