Logic Level Converter

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
arctic_eddie

Re: Logic Level Converter

Post by arctic_eddie »

Try another photo with better focus, shorter wires, a little brighter, and a field of view showing all the connections.

Here is an example of some photos of circuitry.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2784

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Yes - please post some clear close-ups of the soldering pictures. It's odd that it still doesn't work for you.

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Sorry guys, I do not have access to multi coloured wires and all the fancy stuff. I took a lot of photos at various angles though and multiple close ups with an 8 megapixel camera, so the pics are too big to be uploaded here. Here is the album on my Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/Zrm03f If there is anything weird about the pictures, trust me, I followed the diagram exactly.

modeller

Post by modeller »

Rahatmaini wrote:Sorry guys, I do not have access to multi coloured wires and all the fancy stuff. I took a lot of photos at various angles though and multiple close ups with an 8 megapixel camera, so the pics are too big to be uploaded here. Here is the album on my Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/Zrm03f If there is anything weird about the pictures, trust me, I followed the diagram exactly.

Hey Rahatmaini,

If I didn't think this was important I wouldn't be adding to the suggestions, but working with electronics on carpeting is problematic at best. You can easily Zap a component with static electricity! :(

I hope that hasn't happened.

Regards,

Modeller

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Good point, but the only thing touching the carpet is the arduino, which works perfectly fine with all other i2c devices, 3.3v devices, and all pins seem to be working fine. Everything else is on a breadboard and the wires are all insulated. Plus, I have tried this on a table, same results, failure.

Thanks though, I will keep that in mind the next time I work on something! :D

modeller

Post by modeller »

Rahatmaini wrote:Good point, but the only thing touching the carpet is the arduino ...
That isn't a good idea either. If I were you I'd get off the carpeting with all that stuff and onto a table of some sort. It's your call though.

Good Luck!

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Ok, off to the wooden table

adafruit_support_rick

Your soldering is really not good enough to ensure solid electrical connections. You have to heat both the pin and the pad, and the solder should flow evenly onto the pad and the pin, like this:
Solder%20Joint.gif
Solder%20Joint.gif (7.78 KiB) Viewed 963 times
You're going to have to re-do all of your solder joints before these boards can work. Before you start, I'd suggest a thorough review of our Guide To Excellent Soldering

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

The Xytronic Iron that you sell has a thick tip. Can I change that tip with one of the Hakko Iron tips that you sell in the store?

adafruit_support_rick

I don't have one of those irons here, but the picture on the product page shows what looks like a standard "screwdriver" tip. That's the kind of tip I use, and it should be perfect for soldering pin headers. The finer tips are for doing small solders, like surface mount.
You really don't want a small tip for pin headers, because they don't conduct as much heat - it's harder to get relatively large things like pin headers up to temperature.

You want to touch the tip of the iron to both the pad and the pin simultaneously. If you touch a little solder to the tip when you first contact the pad & pin, it will help conduct heat from the iron. After a second or two, the pad and pin should both be hot enough.Touch the solder to the joint again and it should flow almost like water across the pad and up the pin.

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

As far as I can see, the wiring is correct. However, many of the solder joints are suspicious. I would get that solved first before proceeding.

modeller

Post by modeller »

Rahatmaini,

In light of what what driverblock and Arctic said, (I didn't even notice the solder joints because I freaked out at the carpeting), why not practice before even touching that board again?

Get some hookup wire, strip it, and solder a bunch of connections together. All these will just be thrown away, but when you are satisfied at your skill, go back to the board.

Best wishes.

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

IT WORKED!!!!! Thank you Driverblock, Arctic Eddie, Adafruit Support team, and Modeller! All of you have been extremely helpful and I know a lot of my questions have been stupid but thanks guys, I truly appreciate it. I guess the soldering was the only thing that was causing the problems. It isnt perfect still but its much better than the last soldering job.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

adafruit_support_rick

That's great! Congratulations! :D

modeller

Post by modeller »

Rahatmaini wrote:IT WORKED!!!!! Thank you Driverblock, Arctic Eddie, Adafruit Support team, and Modeller!
Sweet! Maybe carpeting isn't so bad after all. :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”