Flora lilypad schematic

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alw

Flora lilypad schematic

Post by alw »

Is there a Flora Lilypad schematic available? (similar to the Lilypad USB schematic arduino-lilypad-usb-schematic)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Flora lilypad schematic

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is there a Flora Lilypad schematic available?
"Flora" and "Lilypad" are similar in shape, but two very different designs.
The Flora board files can be found here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Flora-Mainboard

alw

Post by alw »

Thanks for the response. These files seem to be Eagle CAD files. Is there a more viewable format available?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

that's the only format we've published.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

tldr

Post by tldr »

kind of miss the good old days, when schematics were published as gifs or pngs. of late implementation details seem to be obfuscated by distributing the schematics in non human readable format and by burying the interesting bits of code in libraries.

used to be easier to get a grip on what was going on.

alw

Post by alw »

Thanks for the heads up on the free Eagle download. I have exported the schematic
to a .png file and note that the TxLED pin is pin 22, and the RxLED is pin 8.

hyper

Post by hyper »

I just have some time while I download and install Eagle to comment that I'm annoyed that I have to do this in order to view the schematic. You should really publish a .pdf or some other format that is accepted as universally readable. Eagle is not available for all platforms (eg. tablet computers).

npdoty

Post by npdoty »

I was also frustrated that the only detailed diagrams were solely in an inaccessible CAD format. I've created a branch of the Github repo with PDFs printed from Eagle and submitted a pull request back to Adafruit so maybe they can include them in their repo.

For those who come across this thread looking for the diagrams, you can in the meantime find them in PDF format here:
https://github.com/npdoty/Adafruit-Flor ... /tree/pdfs

Diagrams include the details of the microcontroller, and, for example, the official notation that it's a MiniB USB connector still.

Hope this helps,
Nick

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We publish Eagle files because:

A) They're the same design documents we use ourselves, so we know they're authoritative and complete.

B) They contain more information than any other format, and you can extract less-detailed formats from them.

C) It's impossible to keep GIFs or PDFs in synch with the products. We can publish new files ourselves, but there will still be plenty of old versions out there for people to find when they search for information. Documentation that's out of synch with the products can be worse than no documentation at all.

salsaman

Post by salsaman »

This statement is simply false:
C) It's impossible to keep GIFs or PDFs in synch with the products.
The requests for an easily-readable schematic are honest, and the official Adafruit replies strike me as uncharacteristically dismissive and lazy.

Viewing a schematic should not require special software.

The design has not been updated for 8 MONTHS. Exporting a pdf takes seconds.

adafruit_support_mike

This argument has existed in the Open Source community since Linux first hit the mainstream.

The core principle of Open Source is "make it yourself". Open Source licenses remove as many legal and practical barriers to "make it yourself" as possible, and in the process they shift the burden to "make it yourself" onto the person who wants something that doesn't currently exist. For an excellent example of someone doing exactly that, take a look at the hardware documentation user pighixxx is doing over in this thread: http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopi ... 4&start=45 (while you're there, show some love for his effort to publish it in book form).

The Eagle files we've published are free for the taking in our Github repo. If you'd like to create your own repo of GIF/PNG/PDF versions for people who don't like Eagle, we'll be delighted to point everyone your way. We'll notify you of new and updated files, etc.

Bottom line though.. Open Source invalidates the question isn't "why isn't someone else making this for you?" The correct question is, "why aren't you making it yourself?"

salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Sorry @adafruit_support_mike, didn't mean to be a d!ck, Adafruit support has always been stellar and I'm very grateful for the files shared on github-- great way to get derivitive boards started. Thank you! I'm just hating EAGLE lately, feels like a (bad) CAD program from the early '90s... but we all keep using it grrr! I'm learning DipTrace and... wow, modern software!

@pighixxx wow your diagrams are AMAZING, so helpful for figuring out how to use... so much stuff. Thank you too!

adafruit_support_mike

salsaman wrote:Sorry @adafruit_support_mike, didn't mean to be a d!ck, Adafruit support has always been stellar and I'm very grateful for the files shared on github-- great way to get derivitive boards started. Thank you! I'm just hating EAGLE lately, feels like a (bad) CAD program from the early '90s... but we all keep using it grrr! I'm learning DipTrace and... wow, modern software!
Actually, the interface is pre-1980s.. verb-noun paradigm (select a tool then click on items to apply it) rather than noun-verb (select items then do something to them).

I won't argue with you about Eagle's misfeatures, but Cadsoft was the first company to make board-house capable software available to the hobbyist market. Over on the EEVBlog, Dave Jones mentioned something about Altium making a "big announcement" this month, so they might have decided the Maker movement is worth chasing too. We'll have to wait and see what happens there, but competition at the level of hobbyist software would be good for the entire market.

jawa13

Post by jawa13 »

Is new Flora schematic available?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”