Clear Enclosure for Arduino - mounting 2*16 LCD
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Clear Enclosure for Arduino - mounting 2*16 LCD

by tommesl on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Hello,
I recently purchased the Arduino Enclosure (clear).

I experience one little problem and don't know how to go on.

My 2*16 LCD does exactly match the position of the holes of the case.
However, the delivered screws are too big for the holes in the LCD board.

I am wondering what might be the solution for this problem. My LCD is a standard parallel one.

I have tried to get the correct screws for the LCD without success.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
tommesl

Re: Clear Enclosure for Arduino - mounting 2*16 LCD

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Interesting problem. There are many manufacturers of these displays and there are subtle variations in design. But since it is a pretty standard part, they should all have the same mechanical dimensions for mounting.

You could get smaller screws, but then they would not hold firmly in the mounting bosses on the enclosure. I think the simplest option would be to drill out the holes on the LCD.
adafruit_support_bill

by tommesl on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks a lot for the response.

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Interesting problem. There are many manufacturers of these displays and there are subtle variations in design. But since it is a pretty standard part, they should all have the same mechanical dimensions for mounting.

Yes, I was thinking that they are standardized as well. I don't really remember where I got the LCD from, but there wasn't anything special about it. I have been browsing different catalogues recently. There hasn't been any product info telling the size of the holes...

adafruit_support_bill wrote:You could get smaller screws, but then they would not hold firmly in the mounting bosses on the enclosure. I think the simplest option would be to drill out the holes on the LCD.

I haven't tried it so far: The screws are supposed to cut their thread themselves into the mounting bosses, right? So smaller ones would probably be too small...?

By the way. That's the project I would like to put into the case. You can see the LCD on the video. However, it's not possible whether the holes are different from the standard: http://flic.kr/p/dgp48u

Thanks a lot!!!
tommesl

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

The screws are supposed to cut their thread themselves into the mounting bosses, right? So smaller ones would probably be too small...?

Yes. They are called "self-tapping' screws. Another option is to fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill to a smaller size. That trick also works if you accidentally over-tighten the screws and strip the threads.

By the way. That's the project I would like to put into the case.

Nice project. I think this is one for the blog. :D
adafruit_support_bill

by tommesl on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Nice project. I think this is one for the blog. :D

Thanks a lot :-) I saw the entry!

In the meantime I tried to drill the wholes a bit bigger. This wasn't any problem at all.
I could install the LCD quiet nicely into the case. Thanks for your advice!

Now I face the challenge to install pushbuttons, battery etc.
The first solution using a protoshield with mini-breadboard hasn't worked out unfortunately. The buttons are too high as already documented in another forum entry.
Now, I plan to solder the connections directly onto the protoshield and leaving the breadboard.

Unfortunately I'm short on time, so this will take a while...
tommesl

by tommesl on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:33 am

VocTrainer is finished:

Please see: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjLo9Vw3

Cheers,
Thomas
tommesl