Bluefruit EZ key not pairing

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crowpismo

Bluefruit EZ key not pairing

Post by crowpismo »

Hello,

I got a Bluefruit EZ key delivered this past Friday, and I was able to get it to power up and blink at the 1 second interval by holding the button down for a few seconds. I am not able to get it to pair with my Mac, iPad, or my Android phone. They all say the pair timed out. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to change the Passcode options to 1234 on my Mac, but it still said the pairing attempt was unsuccessful.

Is there something else I can try?

Thank you for your help,

Jeremy

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Bluefruit EZ key not pairing

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Is it appearing in Bluetooth Preferences on your mac?

crowpismo

Post by crowpismo »

Yup, it shows up on my Mac, iPad, and Android, but a timeout error comes up when I to pair.

Jeremy

crowpismo

Post by crowpismo »

*try to pair.

adafruit_support_rick

That's very strange. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

crowpismo

Post by crowpismo »

Thank you for you help! I emailed support and got the info on getting a replacement. I received the replacement, and decided to start with the basics and just hook up the Vin, and the G. For power, I hooked it up to the battery I purchased (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1570?g ... Mgod3AYA0Q). The red light comes on and blinks, and I pressed and held the button to pair, but the EZ-Key never shows up in the pair window on my Mac, my Android phone, or my iPad. I tried hooking up a button to 0 and Grounds thinking maybe I had to have at least one button hooked up, but still nothing showed up in the pair window.

I'm hoping I did something wrong, but am I just really unlucky and got two duds?

Thank you again!

Jeremy

adafruit_support_rick

We had a batch that were not programmed properly. They've all been pulled now, so let's go through the process one more time. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread. Sorry for the trouble.

uchobby

Post by uchobby »

I also have a Bluefruit EZ key that fails to pair. I've tried on several OSs and devices all fail. The light is flashing as if it's ready to pair. Android device said it paired once but the Bluefruit would show error and no keys were sent.

I did contact support as suggested in a previous post but got no reply.

I purchased another Bluefruit and just tried it today, works fine...

I found two issues with the key remapping however. In the non-GUI Processing application.
1) some of the devices on my system report "null" on the info.getProduct_string() call in module HID_stuff, this kills the program.
I inserted if(info.getProduct_string()==null) continue; just after the for loop start to fix this.

2) documentation indicates that you can program a sequence of up to 6 keys but I could not make more than 4 work. For example...
hid_keys.set_key_report(2, MODIFIER_NONE, KEY_S, KEY_T, KEY_A, KEY_RETURN, KEY_NONE, KEY_NONE); Generates "sta<return>" as expected.
hid_keys.set_key_report(2, MODIFIER_NONE, KEY_S, KEY_T, KEY_A, KEY_R, KEY_T, KEY_RETURN); Only sends "star"

adafruit_support_rick

uchobby wrote:I did contact support as suggested in a previous post but got no reply.
We require customers with warranty issue to post here first.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund on your original EZ-Key

I will pass along your observations to the engineering team.

Deqing

Post by Deqing »

Screen shot 2014-02-13 at 9.58.12 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-02-13 at 9.58.12 PM.png (39.12 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Here is the problem.
You can not hold a single key twice. That is why there is an undefined behavior.
I tried to use KEY_S, KEY_T, KEY_A, KEY_R, KEY_Q, KEY_RETURN , it worked.
In GUI version you won't have this problem because the program doesn't allow you to add a key twice.
uchobby wrote:I also have a Bluefruit EZ key that fails to pair. I've tried on several OSs and devices all fail. The light is flashing as if it's ready to pair. Android device said it paired once but the Bluefruit would show error and no keys were sent.

I did contact support as suggested in a previous post but got no reply.

I purchased another Bluefruit and just tried it today, works fine...

I found two issues with the key remapping however. In the non-GUI Processing application.
1) some of the devices on my system report "null" on the info.getProduct_string() call in module HID_stuff, this kills the program.
I inserted if(info.getProduct_string()==null) continue; just after the for loop start to fix this.

2) documentation indicates that you can program a sequence of up to 6 keys but I could not make more than 4 work. For example...
hid_keys.set_key_report(2, MODIFIER_NONE, KEY_S, KEY_T, KEY_A, KEY_RETURN, KEY_NONE, KEY_NONE); Generates "sta<return>" as expected.
hid_keys.set_key_report(2, MODIFIER_NONE, KEY_S, KEY_T, KEY_A, KEY_R, KEY_T, KEY_RETURN); Only sends "star"

adafruit_support_rick

@deqing: good point. I should have noticed that. :oops:

uchobby

Post by uchobby »

@adafruit_support_rick... Wow I will pass this trick along to the support people in my company, they don't like doing customer support either...

@Deqing... Thank you.. I did not understand that each input was being programmed to act like a single keypress event. The implication is that every key is pressed at the same time when the behaviour is as if they are pressed in sequence. I wish this worked to "type out" a key sequence.

I am sure I read somewhere, Limor saying that it could send key sequences.. That should be corrected in the documentation. To send sequences you would have to use an external uC to send the keys via the RX input, or some other logic to sequence the key input signals.

Future request:
1) Please consider replying to support email, even if its to inform the suffering user that they must follow some process. Otherwise you will create considerable ill will. Perhaps use an automatic response.

2) Please, if possible, add the "type out" key sequences to the feature list of the Bluefruit EZKey.

adafruit_support_rick

uchobby wrote:1) Please consider replying to support email, even if its to inform the suffering user that they must follow some process. Otherwise you will create considerable ill will. Perhaps use an automatic response.
AFAIK, we have a stock reply that we send out. Your must have been missed somehow...
uchobby wrote:2) Please, if possible, add the "type out" key sequences to the feature list of the Bluefruit EZKey.
I'll pass the request along to engineering...

gerlo

Post by gerlo »

Same problem over here. That is , i cannot pair with any device. Bluefruit is blinking 1 sec interval but not showing up on Mac or iOS devices.
I ordered mine on http://www.hobbyelectronica.nl a few days ago. Should I contact them or Adafruit directly ?

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”