Bad chip?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stew

Bad chip?

Post by stew »

When I recently purchased an Arduino UNO I also purchased an extra Atmega 328p-pu chip. The UNO and it's supplied chip work fine however, I am unable to program the other chip. I keep getting stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 error. I have triple checked the board and port settings. When I press the reset button the onboard led blinks so the bootloader is present. I also notice, when trying to upload the blink sketch the rx led blinks but the tx doesn't. Could I have received a bad chip?
Thanks,
Stew

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Bad chip?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The "board type" for in the IDE depends on the bootloader. The Atmega 328 chips we sell are programmed with the "Adaboot" bootloader which is Duemilanove compatible. When using these chips, you have to select "Duemilanove w/ Atmega 328" as your board type - even if it is an UNO. (I put a label on the chips so I know which board type to select)

stew

Post by stew »

That solved my problem. All is now well.
Thank you,
Stew

FreddyJoe

Post by FreddyJoe »

What do I gain or lose by using Adaboot compared to Optiboot on ATMEGA328P-PU?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Optiboot is derived from Adaboot and several other improvements to the original Arduino loader. Optiboot being more recent contains some further refinements. https://code.google.com/p/optiboot/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”