Strange GPS behaviour after short circuit

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pischu7

Strange GPS behaviour after short circuit

Post by pischu7 »

Hi there,

first of all: Thanks for all the help I got so far just by reading - it pretty much brought me from zero to a almost finished projekt.
Also right in front sorry for my english, it´s not my native language.

There are always some small obstacles in the way...mine is called GPS (or stupidity if you like).

My problem is the following:

I am using the latest version of the Ultimate GPS Breakout (v3) and everything worked just fine on a rasperry pi (B) until I soldered it on my board and forgot to remove the supporting battery. It came how it must: I caused a short circuit.

Right now the GPS is not working like it should anymore, but it is not quite death either: The status LED is providing still the correct information about the FIX. When connected with USB I get with "sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0" a (in my eyes) proper output with a correct lan, lot etc. When running "cgps" I get as well a proper output and everything seems to be ok.

When I try the steps with UART (GPIO), I can not get anything with "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" (should work the same way?) or "cgps".

I tried a new wheezy image as well, but I think I can narrow it down to a hardware problem since it worked perfectly BOTH WAYS before soldering.

So right now I try to figure out whats the difference between using the GPS with USB and GPIO - actually I can not think of anything. And why was it working before the soldering; just a pure coincidence and its a software problem after all? Or could it even mean that there has to be a complete different problem with my GPIO´s?
Any ideas at all?

Thanks a lot for help

Mark

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Strange GPS behaviour after short circuit

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

At a guess, you may have damaged the GPIO on your Pi. USB goes through different hardware. But it sounds like the GPS module is OK.

pischu7

Post by pischu7 »

So it does not make any difference for the GPS module which way it is connected? It is alway providing the data the same way so if it´s working with USB it has to work with GPIO as well (assuming the GPIO´s are OK)?
If that is the case I clearly need to have a look at my GPIO´s I guess...

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Yes, that's right.

pischu7

Post by pischu7 »

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”