Uno protoshield big enough for VS1053 Breakout?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DanPolka

Uno protoshield big enough for VS1053 Breakout?

Post by DanPolka »

The VS1053 Codec + MicroSD Breakout mounts with two parallel rows of 18 pins, which is too long for most printed circuit proto-shields I've found, because most do not have prototyping areas which run the whole length of the shield.

The VS1053 is 2.28" x 1.09", which is practically the length of a Uno.

It looks to me that the bare pc board, "Adafruit Proto Shield for Arduino PCB - v.5 Product ID: 55" MIGHT work, but I can't be sure from looking at its picture.

(And what I'd love to find is one with paired pc holes, for convenience in wiring!)
Last edited by DanPolka on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanPolka

Re: Is there Uno shield big enough for VS1053 Codec + MicroS

Post by DanPolka »

It looks like the "Mega protoshield for Arduino - Product ID: 192" could work to mount the breakout, but the protoshield itself is too long, even if it could stack with Uno.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Uno protoshield big enough for VS1053 Breakout?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

even if it could stack with Uno
It will stack on an UNO. The Mega footprint is an extension of the UNO footprint. Just leave off the un-needed headers.

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

Well, problem with the Mega Protoshield is that it's too long for all the rest of my design; I have a 5 & 5/8" long 'extender' board that will hold two Uno size boards lengthwise, accepts shields top & bottom, fits nicely into a box, so I'm hoping to find just a Uno size protoshield with full-board prototyping area. Full dual-inline layout would be a bonus, or full paired-holes good alternative.

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

It looks like "Protoshield PCB for Arduino Diecimila / Duemilanove / Freeduino" might fit the VS1053, question is will it actually allow VS1053, and will it stack with Uno?

So how do Arduino Diecimila / Duemilanove / Freeduino header pin layouts compare to Uno?

(It's not important, but in trying to keep with my project 'design', what I'm looking for isn't to stack on top of an Uno, but rather under the Uno compatible header layout. Effectively amounts to the same thing.)

adafruit_support_bill

So how do Arduino Diecimila / Duemilanove / Freeduino header pin layouts compare to Uno?
They are the same as the pre-R3 UNO. They are operationally compatible with the R3 UNO, but do not have the extra 4 pins introduced with R3.

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

Ok, thanks Bill, looks like I'll have to give it a try!

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

HOW TO PASTE A PICTURE HERE?
I have a question about the "Protoshield PCB for Arduino Diecimila / Duemilanove / Freeduino" that I've found for sale that seems to be able to hold the VS1053 breakout, and showing a picture of it would probably help answer my question, but I can't seem to get a picture to copy to here; I can copy the pic into my computer as a .jpg & copy the pic into what I assume is the clipboard, but when I try to paste either instance to here, 'paste' is greyed out.

DIFFERENT CONNECTION SCHEMES IN DIFFERENT AREAS:
The protoshield in question looks like it has a simple large array of solder holes, but one particular view of it shows that while they may be arranged physically in a simple array, their are different areas of it which may have different underlying connection schemes that I may not expect; they are:
one big area in the middle, 10 x 12, "PDIP area, with central buses", a smaller area at one corner, "2X5 bus (IDC)", another similarly small area on the same end, other corner, "5 pin bus".

The DIP area is 10 pins long, with two lines of central bus, with 5 holes outward from the central bus, each line of 5 presumably connected together. If the VS1053 were only 10 pins long, it would fit there ok, with one outward row of holes to spare on each side, widthwise. The problem is what the remaining 8 pins on the VS1053 would fit into & what kind of connections might be being made therein, as they look like they'd end up in at least one of the corner different bus areas.

If it's alright to post the url from the seller, you could see the picture there. (There's two available, it's the one with red lines marking the different areas.)

adafruit_support_bill

HOW TO PASTE A PICTURE HERE?
Use the "Upload Attachment" tab below the message editing window. 800x600 is a good size.

You can also ask the seller this question. Since we will only be able to see what you can see in the photo, the seller may have a more complete answer for you.

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

The "Amazing" seller may have told me as much as they can with the picture, problem is I'm not sure I understand all the elements of the picture, as it relates to the 18 pin per side, 1" wide VS1053 fitting onto it. Here it is :
Attachments
51NDYTxUFRL.jpg
51NDYTxUFRL.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 332 times

adafruit_support_bill

Hard to say for sure without actually seeing the other side. But the common convention for similar boards is that the white stripes joining holes on the silk screen correspond to joining traces on the back-side.

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

All Right!! :D Even though this picture actually shows up bigger here than the original I was looking at, I never noticed the white lines even here until you mentioned them!! I now see that I have to avoid the area marked "5-pin bus", as using it would short out pins along them, and the other areas look like they will work. Thanks!

(And I just experimented with manually wirewrapping various components/wires/headers with single strands of 22 gauge stranded wire, so I think I'll be able to make those areas with blankety-blank singleton holes work to solder to. I hate the idea of making non- or weak mechanical connections for soldering! The DIP section helps alot, so I won't have to do the preliminary wirewrap as much!)

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

Although it doesn't really matter, I just realized that I have been taking a pin count of the VS1053 for sizing to a protoshield from the HEADER PINS shown in the picture of the VS1053, and not from the holes on the breakout board! There's 18 pins on each header, but only two lines of 16 holes on the breakout board!

So my requirement for space is slightly different because of that error; good thing the different count didn't go the other way, or I'd really have a problem! Guess I should have looked at the picture more carefully, but it never occurred to me that the headers shown wouldn't match the number of holes on the breakout.

adafruit_support_bill

the headers shown wouldn't match the number of holes on the breakout.
We usually pack a little more than enough header pins with our boards. You can break or cut them to length. The spares come in handy for many things. :D

DanPolka

Post by DanPolka »

Extra is good! :) I'll just make sure I look at things a little more closely in the future!! Little mistakes can make big problems!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”