Multiple Neopixel Rings

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wdickenson

Multiple Neopixel Rings

Post by wdickenson »

I am about to use the neopixel rings to light a large garden pond. I can think of two ways to do this,
1) I can make each neopixel self sufficient with it's own trinket, and run two wires between them to sync. I do have a few operations that I want synced up. But most of the time they operate independently
2) Run one UNO with all of the lights hung off. But I think I would end up making 4 separate loops. Daisy chaining them would require a lot of wire running around

Any thoughts on best (or a better) approach.
Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Multiple Neopixel Rings

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Distributed control with Trinkets sounds like a better approach. You can run into problems if the signal wires between pixels get too long.

Barry914

Re: Multiple Neopixel Rings

Post by Barry914 »

If for no reason other than power distribution you want to limit the number of rings in a group, so maybe one trinket per group. A kind of hybrid approach that lets you balance power, data, program complexity and cost. I don't know how you intend to synch them but each Trinket can spit out data on a different port than it's receiving, minimizing the length of signal wires. You could pass data between them using a scheme similar to the way NeoPixels talk to each other. Each one strips off part of the input data and passes the rest on to the next.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”