nRF8001 and ANCS

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brento

nRF8001 and ANCS

Post by brento »

Does anyone know if it is it possible to use the nRF8001 breakout to connect to an iOS device and receive notifications from Apple's Notification Center Service (ANCS)?

I've been poking around the sample code hoping I could figure out how to modify it to discover and set itself up as a notification consumer with ANCS, but I'm in over my head and at this point I don't even know if it can be accomplished with this breakout.

Thanks in advance for any information on this!

adafruit2

Re: nRF8001 and ANCS

Post by adafruit2 »

I believe so, but your software (iOS side) has to query it from the operating system (or get an interrupt) and then forward the message to the BLE endpoint in the format you like.

brento

Post by brento »

The registration for ANCS has to come from the bluetooth peripheral, not from an iOS app. There is information here (you might need an Apple Developer account to view):

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... ation.html

What I want to know is if it's possible to modify the Arduino/lib_aci code to register and/or communicate with ANCS. Has anyone done this, or are there code samples available?

I suspect I may need to use the Nordic nRFGo software to accomplish this, but it's Windows only and I am a Mac guy.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

You'll definately need nRFGo Studio for this. I can't say 100% for certain if the 8001 supports ANCS, so you might want to post a question on Nordic's 'Devzone' support website. They're pretty good about answering easy questions, and they would know off the top of their heads.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”