Piccolo music visualizer and Duemilanove

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeff009

Piccolo music visualizer and Duemilanove

Post by jeff009 »

I'm going through the Piccolo music visualizer tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/piccolo?view=all). I've had some success using an Arduino Uno as the microcontroller, now I want to try it with an older Arduino Duemilanove. The tutorial page seems to indicate that an older Arduino can be used:

"Earlier Arduino boards don’t include SDA and SCL pins — instead, use analog pins 4 and 5."

I've connected the pins to the Duemilanove just as before, except now the wires which were going to SDA and SLC are now hooked up to A4 and A5. The instructions on the page didn't mention any code changes, so I left the code as-is (the code is taken from the tutorial page). After uploading my sketch, the LEDs on the matrix are randomly lit, and don't change. I double-checked my wiring and everything looks to be correct. To use the code w/a Duemilanove, does the code need any changes?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS. Oh, and also, this is the ATmega168 version of the Duemilanove (not the 328)

pburgess

Re: Piccolo music visualizer and Duemilanove

Post by pburgess »

Pretty sure the '168 won't work -- the FFT code needs a fair chunk of RAM to work with. But otherwise I think your Uno-compatible code would be OK on a 368-based Duemilanove.

jeff009

Re: Piccolo music visualizer and Duemilanove

Post by jeff009 »

I think you are right. Even as I was typing my message I was thinking, "ya know, I bet the FFT library requires a 328". I was re-reading the instructions page and it hints that the 328 is required:

If using a “classic” Arduino board — an Arduino Uno version R1 or R2, Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila (with 328P chip), ...

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”