Fingerprint reader

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Fingerprint reader

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hmmm... It must be communicating, otherwise it wouldn't have told you it was connected. Is the baud rate still set to 57600?, Package Size still set to 128, and the secure level still set to 3?
You're checking the Preview box and clicking 'Enroll'?

slydoug12

Post by slydoug12 »

when it states that it is connected none of those boxes are selected.. hence why I attempted to set them to the correct values. Yes I am selecting preview and clicking the enroll button.

adafruit_support_rick

I've never seen that behavior. I'm at a complete loss for what to tell you.

Looking at the screen shot you posted again... Even more confused. The hardware Information is telling you to open the device. I can't image why you have the prompt to put your finger on the sensor.

You must not really be connected. Have you tried reversing the white and green leads in digital 0 and 1?

slydoug12

Post by slydoug12 »

I have tried reversing connection with no luck. I even tried loading software to another machine and same issue. guess it wasn't meant to be... suggestion for alternatives?

adafruit_support_rick

No ideas. I can offer you a refund.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange it.

dagriggs

Post by dagriggs »

I'm having a similar problem as OP, except I got it working great with the arduino library. However, I need to reduce the security level and it won't connect properly. I had trouble getting connected to COM10, so I opened a new Uno (COM9) and it said "Open Device Success!"

However, no specs fill in on the left hand side like it shows in the tutorial, and Baud Rate, packet size, and security level don't fill in. No commands are successful. I always get either "Receive Packet Error" or

LOL in the middle of typing this I went back to check info on what error messages were popping up, set the arduino + Sensor on my jeans and suddenly everything sprang to life!

This confirms the admin's last suspicion that there is simply an issue with the data transfer somewhere. I had already changed from sticking pin headers in the Uno's female slots to soldering directly to the pins on the bottom to avoid this issue, and it looks like I just barely got a clean enough connection to transfer data successfully! Note for any future issue-havers, you probably just need ot clean up your wiring.

dagriggs

Post by dagriggs »

Hmm it stops working as easily as it randomly started working.... This is not a sustainable path... Maybe some of these devices have troublesome RX-TX connectors? I don't know what to do since it seems like the software is usually running flawlessly for everyone else...

dagriggs

Post by dagriggs »

And when I do miraculously wiggle the wires right and bring it to life, I still have a hard time enrolling, it will usually interrupt the image transfer action with a "Receive Error" then restart the enrolling process. Other times the connection will simply drop (red light shuts off, software still thinks its enrolling but never works).

I did get it connected long enough to set the Security Level to 1 instead of 3, and it solved my problem! I was using a rubber cast of a finger in an Escape Room, and the fingerprints on it weren't raised distinctly quite enough so it had a really hard time recognizing a match. Now it matches 80% of the time, much better!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”