Audio FX Sound Board doesn't show up in Windows?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
k6rtm

Audio FX Sound Board doesn't show up in Windows?

Post by k6rtm »

Just received my Audio FX Sound board. When I connect it (using a known good USB cable) to the USB port of a Windows (XP) system or a Mac, it doesn't show up as a USB device -- the red activity LED blinks briefly and the green Pwr LED on the board is lit. On both systems I verified the operation of the USB port by plugging in a known good USB memory stick, so it's not the port (on either system).

Powering the device standalone, grounding trigger 0 momentarily causes the red activity LED on the board to blink, announcing "left right" on the corresponding audio output (through the 2.5 watt class D amplifier). None of the other triggers seem to do anything.

Where should I go from here? I'd really like to put more audio on this little gem!

Franklin97355

Re: Audio FX Sound Board doesn't show up in Windows?

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll see if any of the other techs know of anything to check but it sounds like this one is bad. We have none in stock so all we can offer is a refund. You can sign up to be notified when they come in and order one then. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, sounds like it works but the USB detection maybe isnt kicking in. only pin #0 has a trigger so you know it works over all if it plays the left/right audio test

if you have the audio amplifier or headphone connected up when you plug it into USB do you get a Beep?

in case its the connector, can you try another USB cable?

k6rtm

Post by k6rtm »

adafruit2 wrote:hiya, sounds like it works but the USB detection maybe isnt kicking in. only pin #0 has a trigger so you know it works over all if it plays the left/right audio test

if you have the audio amplifier or headphone connected up when you plug it into USB do you get a Beep?

in case its the connector, can you try another USB cable?
As stated, it plays "left right" from the corresponding audio channel when trigger 0 is grounded (but only when powered in standalone mode?).

I tried multiple cables -- and it mounted (on my XP box) with a cable that hadn't worked earlier...

Shows T00.ogg as the only file on the device, and the device is full -- I can't copy any other files to the device, even though it shows one 11kb file. Properties says it's a FAT32 volume with 2,080,256 bytes used and - bytes free. (copied T00.ogg to the desktop, renamed it T01.ogg, tried copying T01.ogg to device, and it's full.)

I'm quite hesitant to try deleting the file, or formatting the volume -- XP disk check won't do anything with the volume.

T00.ogg is 10,538 bytes, 10,752 used on disk. Modified date is Sept 23, 2014, 14:21.26. Accessed and created are today (such is XP).

Where the rest of the space went, who knows...

(off to the theatre to run Gypsy)

What next?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hmm! ok can you try reformatting it? no harm, we'll replace it if it doesnt work but always good to check. FAT format please :)

k6rtm

Post by k6rtm »

adafruit2 wrote:hmm! ok can you try reformatting it? no harm, we'll replace it if it doesnt work but always good to check. FAT format please :)
Got home from the theatre and formatted the device, downloaded the Demo_Track files, and copied them to the device. 814kb in use, 1.14mb free -- runs standalone, and I can add/remove files connecting it to my mac as well as under XP.

Something about startup though -- it doesn't seem to power up cleanly, some times requiring a reset, or even removing power and reconnecting (it isn't the power supply -- I'm testing it using my HP 6632A bench supply).

But for now, things seem to be working -- I'll start clipping chunks of audio tomorrow! This is going to be fun (and will probably be in a show in the Spring)!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok thx for the note, we'll check the booting issue out. we couldn't immediately reproduce it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”