Hella Oontz won't react to button pressing or incoming midi

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wurstryan

Hella Oontz won't react to button pressing or incoming midi

Post by wurstryan »

I just got my Oontz board put together. I uploaded the LED test example from the first steps page(https://learn.adafruit.com/untztrument- ... irst-steps). Then I loaded the Hello World code and added the #define HELLA, which uploaded fine. I then made a Max patch that would talk to the Oontz. The Oontz shows up in the Midi info in Max, but it won't communicate. If I press buttons on the Oontz, they won't light up. If I send Midi the LED's won't light up. I am very confused because everything was working fine with the test.

biddoof

Re: Hella Oontz won't react to button pressing or incoming m

Post by biddoof »

I just built one also. My first test after the initial light up test was the same - Hello World. When I uploaded it, the lights did come on, however, and the buttons work.

Where did you put the#define? It needs to be at the very top of the sketch - at least before the first #ifndef HELLA. Otherwise, the code will assume it's a regular untz. If you don't know C or C++ this wouldn't be obvious.

Otherwiise, I don't have Max, so I just tested it with a (now) free program Firebird2 and it worked as soon as I selected the untz.

I'm trying to get rotary encoders working now, but something I noticed might help you debug - there's a free program http://www.midiox.com/ midiox that works well to determine if and what signal you're getting from your midi device. That way you can check if the untz is at least communicating to the computer. My buttonpresses show up on that tool.

The other thing I had to do was go through the process of tricking the Arduino IDE into thinking I was using a teensyduino and is using USB vs serial communications. Most of which I don't fully understand, tbh. I don't think it will work if you haven't gone through that process. Which wasn't simple.

I think they really should beef up the tutorial on that part, because getting the code to even load as a teensyduino. The method on the tutorial didn't really work - I have to start the download, then stick something inside the untz and press the reset button right after to get it to work. And even then it's hit or miss.

So I don't really like experimenting with the sketches because it's hard to reliably load new code.

Anyway, I hope you get it working -

Now what I really need at this point is working sample code of the HELLA working with encoders. All we have are snippets and no idea how it would really work all together. If anybody is listening, one more sketch with an UNTZ + encoder combo working would be GREAT. I mean, adafruit does sell the parts as additions to the kit, so it kind of makes sense. :)

pburgess

Re: Hella Oontz won't react to button pressing or incoming m

Post by pburgess »

Test one of the Trellis library examples first; these don't do any MIDI work, they just check the buttons and lights. Any response?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”