Audio FX project

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pal251

Audio FX project

Post by pal251 »

I need the following done. I would like to be able to have a sound play (preferably through a decent amplifer) when someone passes through a photo electric sensor like the ones on your garage door opener.

If I buy the audio fx board what else would be required to do that besides a sensor? Also this is for an exhibit so I don't want it to be going off every time someone walks by, maybe only every minute or so?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Audio FX project

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

pal251 wrote:I don't want it to be going off every time someone walks by, maybe only every minute or so?
Ah. That makes it more complicated. You'll need to program a microcontroller to handle that part of the project. You can still use the Audio FX board. Attach the sensor to the microcontroller. Filter the sensor detections by time, and write a LOW to the pin on the AudioFX board that you want to fire.

You can use a small microcontroller like a Trinket, a Pro Trinket, or an Arduino Micro.

pal251

Post by pal251 »

Rick,

If I have a PIR sensor on the board will it go off once it detects motion, and if the person(s) stay relatively still it won't go off again till they move?

Otherwise I would be happy I think with it going off every time the beam sensor is set off.

Do you have a schematic or idea how I would get the signal to go into a low status from a photoelectric beam sensor? I know NOTHING about the electronics portion and want to learn (thats why I bought the board)

adafruit_support_rick

If you use this laser beam-break sensor, it will go low on a detection:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2122
Range is about a meter.
pal251 wrote:If I have a PIR sensor on the board will it go off once it detects motion, and if the person(s) stay relatively still it won't go off again till they move?
Yes, I believe that's true

If you use the PIR, you'll need an inverter chip to pull the signal low on a detection.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... ageSize=25

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/357-sn74hc14n ... igger.html

pal251

Post by pal251 »

Do you have a schematic on how it would work with the inverter? I have no idea how to hook it up

adafruit_support_rick

This is with the 74HC14 part from Jameco:
inverter.png
inverter.png (23.22 KiB) Viewed 798 times

pal251

Post by pal251 »

I'll give that a try once I get enough items to order from there. To bad adafruit doesnt carry these chips :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”