usb serial problems

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DesertRat7

usb serial problems

Post by DesertRat7 »

Hello all, I have been messing around with a Trinket and UNO. I don't seem to have problems loading sketches but Friday I received the USB - TTY cable to see what my Tinket was doing. But when I go into Serial Port it does not give me any viable options (usbserial.xxxxx) or anything like that. What it shows in Serial Port is RicksIpadWirelessiap,BLUETOOTH Modem, RicksIphone and things like that, nothing like usbserial. I've tried reinstalling Adafruit Arduino IDE a few times, nothing. I've tried Arduino IDE and there too it shows that wireless, bluetooth stuff. I'm getting really annoyed and frustrated with this. I also looked in Terminal and did the ls /dev/cu.*. ls /dev/tty.* and the same stuff shows up there, no usb serial xxxxx. When I connect the Trinket and do a Sys. Info. and look under USB it's there. Though it shows that it's not configured. Please bare in mind I don't have experience with Terminal or messing with such things, just things I read online. Please any and all help greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: usb serial problems

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

(Moved to "Other Arduino" forum)

The Trinket doesn't have a real USB interface. The bootloader emulates a USB device for 10 seconds after you press the reset button, but that goes away as soon as the bootloader passes control to the sketch you just loaded.

DesertRat7

Post by DesertRat7 »

Yeah, that part I understand. The thing is, when I first installed Adafruit Arduino IDE the serial port showed usb serial options. I was able to select usb1421. The sketch uploading is not a problem. I just can't get the IDE to accept the usb1421 for serial monitor. Plus like I mentioned, in Terminal I don't see anything like usbserial, just my iPad, iPhone, Bluetooth none sense. Thank You for your reply.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you looking in the 10 seconds after you press the reset button? If the trinket is new (no program installed) it will continually loop into the startup routine and thus have a USB port opening every 10 seconds. After loading the first program you need to press the reset to get it to go to the USB routine. Also, what OS are you running?

DesertRat7

Post by DesertRat7 »

I've looked at the serial port at different times with loaded sketches, I'm running Yosemite on a 13" MBP. Sorry for the trouble but you dealing with a bit of a Neanderthal here. I've always loved the idea of using MC's for some of my ideas, so I'm really starting from scratch. Thanks

DesertRat7

Post by DesertRat7 »

Just wanted to say that I figured out the problem. I was not aware that a driver was needed for the cable. Like I said, Neanderthal here. Anyhow, Thanks for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”