8806 LED Strip Programming

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crollison

8806 LED Strip Programming

Post by crollison »

I'm about 1 level up from noob when it comes to Arduino programming. I've been working for several hours trying to dissect the example files in the 8806 library. I'm wanting to just get down to lighting the entire strip in 1 color and then figuring out how to light an individual LED a certain color. This will eventually lead to further projects, but just getting the understanding of how to break down the programming. Any help would be great. Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 8806 LED Strip Programming

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are three functions you'll use most often:

.Color(), which takes R, G, B values and packs them up in a form the LPD8806 can understand.

.setPixelColor(), which gives each pixel its own address, and is the main LED programming interface. It takes a pixel number and a Color value from the function above as arguments.

.show(), which actually sends all the data to the strip.

To set a single pixel call:

Code: Select all

strip.setPixelColor( n, strip.Color( r, g, b ) );
assuming you've named your LPD8806 object 'strip' and all the other variables contain numbers that work in context.. 'n' will be the number of a pixel that exists in the strip, and 'r, g, b' will each be between 0 and 255.

To set the whole strip to the same color, just do the same thing for every value of 'n' that would be valid for the strip you're trying to control.

Remember to call:

Code: Select all

strip.show();
To send the changes out to the actual LPD8806 chips.

crollison

Post by crollison »

This is ugly programming, but I'm still getting results that aren't what I'm wanting. With this program

http://BANNED.com/TcTFtsvX

I have White for the first 22 LEDs, then a red, followed by random colors thorughout the rest of the strip. Thanks if somebody could see what I'm doing. I know there has to be an easier way to set the LED number but since I'm doing it before the loop. In the loop they flashed.

Thanks.

crollison

Post by crollison »

Think I found it, had to go back to hardware SPI and everything started working.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”