Powerboost Charger Switch

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TacHawkes

Powerboost Charger Switch

Post by TacHawkes »

Hi,

on the Pinouts page for the Powerboot 500 + Charger it says that the enable pin is pulled HIGH to VBat. Now I would like to use a power switch with only two states ("0" for open and "1" for closed). The default behaviour should be that EN ist pulled LOW to ground when the switch is open and HIGH to VBat when the switch is closed. Is it sufficient to put a 150 kOhm between GND and EN and then put the switch between EN and VBat with a 56 kOhm (or 100 kOhm) Resistor to achieve this switching behaviour?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powerboost Charger Switch

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The circuit already has a pullup resistor. It is designed to enable output when the switch is open (or no switch is installed). https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pow ... off-switch
If you want to make it work in the opposite way you would need to remove the existing pullup resistor and use a pull-down instead.

kuro_obi

Post by kuro_obi »

Sorry to necrobump this post, but I found it in a search to solve an issue I'm having. I'm using the switch in the following image for my project, and currently I have the top row of pins soldered to the GND and EN pins so that when the switch is to the left, the unit turns off.

The bottom half of the image is not relevant since I'm soldering the switch to the Powerboost 500.

The behavior I need to achieve is for the device to charge the battery when the switch is to the left, and provide power when the switch is positioned to the right. According to the above post by adafruit_support_bill, the only way to achieve this behavior is to remove the pullup resistor. I'm hoping that Bill or someone from the Adafruit community can help me identify the resistor I need to remove and any other changes I need to make for this to happen. Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

You should not need any additional resistors or circuit changes to the powerboost. Just wire your switch so that it is open when you want power and closed when you don't.

kuro_obi

Post by kuro_obi »

I think that perhaps either I'm not being clear, or just not understanding, the latter being more likely.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88tNN ... sp=sharing

This is a picture of how I have this wired right now. In this configuration, the unit is powered off with the switch to the left, and on when the switch is to the right. This would work fine, except that it never gives the battery a chance to charge unless I add a wire to EN and BAT and connect it to the available bottom pins on my switch. Even then, the battery will only charge when the unit is on.

I need to achieve the opposite behavior, where the battery will charge with the switch to the left, and provide power with the switch to the right.

adafruit_support_bill

The enable pin only controls the output pf the boost converter. The battery is directly connected to the output of the charge controller. The switch has no effect on the battery charging.
https://learn.adafruit.com/system/asset ... 1403289316

kuro_obi

Post by kuro_obi »

I see. Then I may have a problem with my Chrg LED. I'll desolder everything and test it again. Thanks for the clarification.

kuro_obi

Post by kuro_obi »

I most certainly am not getting the behavior you've described. My battery does not seem to be charging at all, as I've drained it completely. I removed all of the soldered connections and plugged in nothing but USB power and the battery, and I still am not receiving a charge.

I've reviewed the Adafruit return policy, and it seems you will not take back any opened items. I believe this part to be defective. That being the case, how would I go about discussing an exchange of this item? I need this done as soon as possible, and I'm willing to pay for express shipping to get a replacement to me by Friday. I have a very big career opportunity on the table at the beginning of next week and would like to use my project as leverage.

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”