MLX90614 High temp reading for PID espresso project

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
charles_pare

MLX90614 High temp reading for PID espresso project

Post by charles_pare »

Hi, I would like to PID my Rancilio Silvia espresso machine with an Arduino and the Adafruit TFT capacitive screen to control different settings like temperature (water and steam temperature), run the pump (pre-infusion, flow meter) and display the pressure with a wired 300psi pressure sensor.
I am unsure which sensor to use to check the boiler temperature. Choices are:

-TMP35 or LM35 like sensors… pros: cheap cons: limited in precision at high temperature, not good over 125 Celcius (boiler temperature for steam is 140Celcius)

-Termocouple + amplifier: Pros: goes high in temperature, cons: more expensive, uncertain results in noisy environment (it’s a 1000w boiler on AC with a pump!), and the Adafruit thermocouple wouldn’t work since I need to ground it on the boiler to read temperature, I would need one like the Omega

-MLX90614 https://www.adafruit.com/products/1748 Pros: goes high in temp, precise. Cons: as expensive as thermocouple + amplifier.
The MLX is my first choice, I would mount it so it looks at the brass boilet at a 1\2 inch distance and program it with the brass emissivity coefficient.

The only thing is: what is the part number Adafruit is carrying? According to the specs:

The sensor can read +380 celcius however it cannot be over either +85 or +125 depending on the model. The inside of the casing, near the boiler when steaming is probably pretty hot.
My question to the Adafruit team: Which sensor (part number) are you carrying? It’s probable the lower temp one but a confirmation would be great before I order.

And to everyone, do you have any other way to measure the boilet? Temperature are: 110Celcius for espresso, 140 for steam.

By the way, here is a super nice video about this sensor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GmtayR0Rw

adafruit2

Re: MLX90614 High temp reading for PID espresso project

Post by adafruit2 »

Melexis MLX90614ESF-AAA-000-TU
and
Melexis MLX90614ESF-BAA-000-TU

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”