Need advice for rover chassis kit

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
raheel78

Need advice for rover chassis kit

Post by raheel78 »

Hello folks,

I am not very new to all this world of Rpi or arduino kind of things. But I am not able to find a suitable rover / chassis kit which I can build myself and have enough space or assembly to fit my ardu/rpi boards on it. If I found a kit to build (example: Tamiya chassis kit) that it is short of enough space to place all this circuitry! And, in some cases I found proper assemblies for such 4WD cars (e.g. DF robo kits) then there is no chance you can build them from scratch as they are pre-built kits.

Any recommendations from experts here? Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Need advice for rover chassis kit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you looked at the Dagu 'Wild Thumper" chassis? These come in 4WD and 6WD configurations and have plenty of room for electronics.
https://www.pololu.com/category/88/wild ... in-chassis

raheel78

Post by raheel78 »

I must say that the quality looks good for these rovers but they are a bit over prized! 4WDs are ok, 6WDs are like getting a complete robot. Anyways, I need to see few more options before I finally decide for my rover unless I found few more people needing same kit so that price go reduced a little bit.

I think the main reason for higher price is that these kits are not the ordinary ones, they have kind of a suspension assembly as well .... seems for more professional RC folks :)

adafruit_support_bill

I think the main reason for higher price is that these kits are not the ordinary ones, they have kind of a suspension assembly as well
Part of the pricing is also due to the high-quality metal gearmotors. The Tamiya and DF-Robot chassis have low-voltage hobby motors and plastic geartrains.

Here's mine, out for a drive in the snow:

FoxyPants

Post by FoxyPants »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
I think the main reason for higher price is that these kits are not the ordinary ones, they have kind of a suspension assembly as well
Part of the pricing is also due to the high-quality metal gearmotors. The Tamiya and DF-Robot chassis have low-voltage hobby motors and plastic geartrains.

Here's mine, out for a drive in the snow:

Are there any cheaper chassis out there?

adafruit_support_bill

There are lots of cheaper chassis out there. Check out the DF-Robot offerings.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”