Bluefruit and BANNED 3 Controllers

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
causalloop

Bluefruit and BANNED 3 Controllers

Post by causalloop »

I'm interested in connecting Sony's Navigation Controller for the BANNED 3. While I don't expect someone to do all the work for me (would be nice though), if its not possible, then its not possible. I know some devices aren't able to be used in a 'central role'(?) - not sure if I've got my terminology right there.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluefruit and BANNED 3 Controllers

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's the correct term. Bluetooth has 'central' and 'peripheral' device classes.

Central devices initiate and control connections. Peripherals just do what a central tells them to. That arrangement puts most of the complexity (and cost) into the central device, allowing peripherals to be simpler, lower power, and less expensive.

All the BT and BLE devices we have are peripherals.

causalloop

Post by causalloop »

Well... poop. :) Works great otherwise :-P

RoboKevin

Post by RoboKevin »

So am I to understand that controlling an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE with a sony P s 3 remote is not doable? I am looking for the smallest bluetooth microcontroller with native Bluetooth to communicate with some brushless esc's. I have done this with an UNO and an adk shield with a dongle, but I am trying to do the same thing in a more compact system

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

RoboKevin wrote:So am I to understand that controlling an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE with a sony P s 3 remote is not doable?
That's correct. The ATmega32u4 doesn't have enough RAM or program memory to run a standard BLE central stack.

The only board we have that can run as a central is the brand-new nRF52 Feather:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3406

It has all the hardware it needs to work as a standalone BLE central. It's only been out for a couple of weeks though, so be aware that you'll be a cutting-edge early adopter if you choose to work with it. It's safe to assume that existing code written for any other platform will have to be ported to the new architecture.

Sweetsmarthouse

Post by Sweetsmarthouse »

Has anybody ben able to use BANNED 3 controller with feather board?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”