Burned Audio FX Sound Board

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Number_X

Burned Audio FX Sound Board

Post by Number_X »

Hello Everyone,

I purchased an Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger with 16MB Flash and have it connected to the Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX98306.

While I was working on it I played a song through a small 4 ohm speaker and it worked just fine. I then replaced the audio, files leaving all the wiring the same, and when I went to play the sound I heard a pop and the FX board started smoking. The only difference that I can think of is that the new audio file was much louder than the previous one, but I don't know why this would cause the board to fry.

I'm going to have to purchase another one, but I don't want this to happen again since they are $30 a piece. Any help on how to avoid this from happening again would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: Burned Audio FX Sound Board

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post large, clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board and the connections to it? Pictures should be less than 1meg in size. 800x600 works well.

matthew_coleman

Re: Burned Audio FX Sound Board

Post by matthew_coleman »

@Number_X,
I recently had a case similar problem on the MAX98306 Adafruit board. Long power supply cables are suspected to be the problem. We are testing this but it will take a week or so.

The proposed solution is to put some bulk capacitance at the power supply inputs. ~220uF should be about right. This is only necessary for long power supply cables. When you use it close to a good power source then it doesn't need it. The MAX98306 datasheet does recommend this but it could be much clearer. Who really reads the whole datasheet before using a part?

Disclosure: I am a field Application Engineer with Maxim so am here to fix these problems.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”