Adafruit 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield (Max Current?)

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lvignals

Adafruit 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield (Max Current?)

Post by lvignals »

Hello,

I am looking at the Adafruit 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield for Arduino UNO at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16- ... d/overview

My questions:

1) What is the maximum current per servo this board was designed to support? (in continue not pick value)

2) What is the maximum current the board can support when all servos are simultaneously active and under load? (in continue not pick value)

The copper tracks width and thickness that board was designed/manufactured with should provide some answer to that question (with a little bit of basic math).

Reason I am asking:

- Robot has exactly 16 Servos.
- Each servo can drain up to 5 Amps for a few minutes (usually between 5 and 10 minutes) under certain conditions.
- Testing shows the robot drains close to 40 Amps of total current for the servos when active. (It is powered by a 25C 2S 10000mAh LIPO Battery i.e. about 30 minutes autonomy)

Please let me know?

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield (Max Current?)

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

- Each servo can drain up to 5 Amps for a few minutes (usually between 5 and 10 minutes) under certain conditions.
- Testing shows the robot drains close to 40 Amps of total current for the servos when active. (It is powered by a 25C 2S 10000mAh LIPO Battery i.e. about 30 minutes autonomy)
At those rates, I would recommend separate power wiring for the servos. Most servo connectors compatible with the headers on the board are only rated for 1-2A max,. The traces on the board can probably handle 20-30A peaks currents. But not sustained.

I'd wire power direct to the servos. Just be sure to connect a ground wire between your servo power and the shield so that you have a good ground reference for the control signal.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”