Silicone rubber encapsulation okay?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bobcov

Silicone rubber encapsulation okay?

Post by bobcov »

Would it cause problems if I were to liberally apply silicone rubber to my kit to protect the transistors from getting bent to hell? Seems everytime I put this in a pocket, no matter how gently, things are getting bent to hell. I already caused one short. Thankfully, the kit still worked after I discovered it extremely hot in my pocket. I would goop up everything except for the header pin and the IC socket. I'm thinking it doesn't conduct current so it should be okay.

-Bob

mitpatterson

Re: Silicone rubber encapsulation okay?

Post by mitpatterson »

as long as it doesn't conduct there should be no problems, you didn't mention not goopping up the LED's and the switch, might be a good idea not to(i'm sure you weren't going to, just give you a hard time) if you already have the silicone you are planning on using i would take a small amount and let it dry(on a non-conductive surface) and after its dry stick the leads a multimeter in it set to ohms/continuity and make sure nothing conducts it show basically an open circuit(no connection). This is just to be 100% sure it won't be conductive. Also if you cover the whole thing in goop adafruit probaly won't be able to help you if someitng doesn't work as you can't take pictures of your soldering then, and also if you do take pics of it you have to take the goop off thus possibly damaging it more

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Depends on the exact product you're planning on using. A lot of it gives off acetic acid as it cures, which could potentially corrode the circuit board.

cstratton

Post by cstratton »

pstemari wrote:Depends on the exact product you're planning on using. A lot of it gives off acetic acid as it cures, which could potentially corrode the circuit board.
There is another version intended for electronics though. I think it gives off something nastier to people.

westfw

Post by westfw »

Hot glue is pretty commonly used for this purpose. Somewhat cheaper and more general purpose. And removable, sort of.

As others have said, avoid the silicones that smell like vinegar and you should be OK.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Some kind of potting compound from a hobby shop should work pretty well too, but you'd have to make a mould and take the switch into account.

Unfortunately I think it would also be very hard to remove if you needed to repair something.

richms

Post by richms »

+1 for hot glue. and a bake in the oven will get most of it off if you are careful with temperature.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

cstratton wrote:
pstemari wrote:Depends on the exact product you're planning on using. A lot of it gives off acetic acid as it cures, which could potentially corrode the circuit board.
There is another version intended for electronics though. I think it gives off something nastier to people.
Using something intended for electronics should be fine. I didn't getting the impression that's what the OP was referring to, though.

I think the acetic acid from the silicone is supposed to etch whatever you're gluing so it sticks better. I don't know that the electronics stuff gives off any harmful fumes.

richms

Post by richms »

I have seen the wrong stuff and what it does to a circuitboard when I was making up an LED board for some landscape lights - the whole lot of exposed copper went bright green like that fake antique finish and the component leads started to look "dusty" - still worked for ages tho. I just used the silicon to stick the board in place since it was onto plastic that no other glues would stick too and hotglue tended to fall off when stuck to black plastic that is outside.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

That would be Verdigris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”