3 watt IR LED for TV-B-GONE...

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nige838

3 watt IR LED for TV-B-GONE...

Post by nige838 »

I've found these 3 watt IR LEDs and think that they would work with this. I don't know a lot about these, but they're really cheap...

Here's the specs...

"3 Watt IR LED"
850nm or 9440nm
1.5-1.7v

It needs a heatsink and can handle at least 1Amp forward.

Let me know what you think and any ideas on circuits...

-Nick
Attachments
Main Product Picture - click to enlarge.jpeg
Main Product Picture - click to enlarge.jpeg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

bechi

Re: 3 watt IR LED for TV-B-GONE...

Post by bechi »

I wnat to make this
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-power ... 8-4v-12625
to send the TVBGone / or Universal Remote-Code.

This should be the same as the tread starters one, but with sone resistors and stuff.
and 950nm!!

like this
http://www.instructables.com/id/TV-B-Go ... ion/#step1

But how?

all the lokal profesionel eletricians hating me! I steal there time. No one understands me.

If the 'make the TVBGone' would be mechanical sure i had ideas how to make it work. But electrisity -no way. I got electron allergie!

whitehawk82

Re: 3 watt IR LED for TV-B-GONE...

Post by whitehawk82 »

Sadly, I have done this. I tore apart a perfectly good LuxPro 1 watt flashlight and crammed 3 different test LED's into it. Granted they were not 940 but they were 850nm. first test was 1 watt, kept frying it because 1 watt white is 3 volt where 1 watt infrared is 1.8, so I moved on to 3 and 5 watt versions. the 5 watt provided less range than the 3 watt because of the limitations of 3 AAA batteries. But in the end I found that older TV's were more responsive to 850, I could actually point the thing anywhere in the room and the TV reacted, but a lot of newer ones you must point right at as they have much better IR filters on them now, my weak little samsung remote with its 940nm LED could be pointed anywhere in the room but my MEGA ULTRA TV-B-GONE had to be pointed straight at it?... anyway to the point. The parts I used were actually less in numbers than any tv-b-gone schematic found online.

1 - luxpro flashlight
1 - attiny 85v (with lots of modified code for TV-B-GONE and steady-burn to use as IR flashlight)
1 - mosfet, key here is MOSFET, not transistor, much heavier capacity and no linear effect, just on or off more like a switch.
1 - ceramic oscilator
1 - mini dip switch
1 - current limiting resistor between the attiny and the mosfet.

Cram it all into the flashlight between the 2 circuit boards. :)

Final unit does NOT work through low-e tinted glass but DOES BANNED off lots of people in bars.
I just ordered the 940nm to try and beef up the effectiveness.

Oh, and it looks like i'm not the only one to try this, even this guy used a lux-pro style flashlight. and he has an actual circuit board where mine looks like a bad prototype.
http://diy.elektroda.eu/latarkowy-tv-b- ... y/?lang=en

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”