Reset Button, IR issues, other questions

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ephras

Reset Button, IR issues, other questions

Post by ephras »

Hello there. :0
I just received my TV-B-Gone kit in the mail along with some electronics tools so I decided to undertake my first attempt at soldering. Much to my surprise, my mother was my greatest asset in the venture, she had a great deal of experience from her days as a technician. It took about 2 hours (slow I know), but at the end my solder job seemed alright and everything seemed to check out.

However I check it again today and there seem to be some issues:
1) First off and most noticeable, sometimes the green LED won't blink and the rest of the item, including the reset button don't do anything.
2) Second, when the LEDs do fire, it looks like I have 3 of them blinking as they should, while one seems to remain on all the time (even after it runs through all the IR codes).
3) Third, this is somewhat unrelated but is flux/soldering paste absolutely required to get decent soldering joints? My mom seemed to keep emphasizing it's importance.

Thanks for all your help!

ephras

Re: Reset Button, IR issues, other questions

Post by ephras »

Apologies for the double post, it seems that for problem one, the LED just doesn't blink and the IR LEDs all turn on. Also, is it normal for the LEDs to only blink for a little under a minute? It seems pretty far from the estimated 2 minutes according the the help page stickied here... am I just nitpicking now? :x

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Reset Button, IR issues, other questions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post some photos of the front & back of your board we can take a look for any soldering/assembly issues.

For this type of work, 60/40 rosin-core solder is usually fine. As long as the board and parts are reasonably clean to start with, the rosin flux in the core is sufficient to ensure a good joint.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”