TV-B Gone in mobile housing

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
captainfuture81

TV-B Gone in mobile housing

Post by captainfuture81 »

Hi guys.

I want to put my TV-B Gone Kit in a mobile. An old Nokia or Sony Ericsson or something.
Can anybody explain, how i can usa a batterie from a phone?
Is there a how-to arround?

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: TV-B Gone in mobile housing

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You'll have to find out what kind of power the cell-phone batteries provide. The TV-B-Gone operates between 2.5 and 5.5V, and the batteries must be able to supply 400-1000mA of current without overheating/melting/burning/exploding.

Beyond that, all you have to do is attach the two wires.

The TVBG tutorial has this to say about power:
Power supply
The kit is powered by 2 AA batteries. It's important that the power supply voltage be between 2.5V and 5.5V. Higher than that can damage the kit. Lower is too low for it to work. It's also important that the power supply be able to supply 400-1000mA easily. For AA's this is not a problem. AAA's may have issues. C or D cells are fine as are many Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries. Check your batteries if you're not using standard Alkaline AA's.

Better batteries will get you more range. "Lithium" 1.5V are excellent, Alkalines are good, and then recharagables are OK but not fantastic. Coin cells will not work at all. 9V batteries will kill the device. See this tutorial on batteries for ideas.

Using 3 batteries will also greatly improve range. 4 gets a little dangerous because 4 Alkalines is 6V which is above the suggested voltage for the chip and may damage it. Stick to 2 or 3 batteries!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”