TV-B-Gone and 4.5V problems

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JamesTheGreat

TV-B-Gone and 4.5V problems

Post by JamesTheGreat »

I have a stock TV-B-Gone with the following modifications:
-3 C cells for power
-Jumper for the LED resistor
-60mm arcade button (from Adafruit!) for the button and LED. (I replaced the 480Ohm resistor in the button with a 130Ohm)

Everything works fine if I use 2 C cells. Whenever I add the third one, things wig out. With the stock firmware, I get two long flashes, and then if I hit the button, I get two long flashes again. On my custom firmware, I was getting what looked like a brownout error (even though my fuses were set for 1.8V)

The real kicker is that I made one identical and it works fine with 3C cells.

I assumed I messed up the board on my second system, so I broke open another TV-B-Gone kit and got the same behavior.

With 3 C cells on the second system, if I disconnect the programming resistor, everything seems to be flashing fine (but of course, I get nothing out of the LEDs)

I even tried moving the batteries from the "working" system to the non-working system. The working system kept working...

Are their any other modifications I should make to run off of 3C cells?

Any ideas what could be causing this?

JamesTheGreat

Re: TV-B-Gone and 4.5V problems

Post by JamesTheGreat »

I moved the LED/resistor set from the working one to the nonworking one, with no joy.

The only difference between the two are:
-The working one uses a NC switch on the resistor. The non-working one uses a jumper
-The working one has some of the connectors soldered to the power switch, where the non-working one uses quick connects. I also used quick connects on the working one's LED.

I can't imagine either of those making a difference. Hopefully I am missing something obvious.

Jim

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”