IR always on and HOT

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Duckbites

IR always on and HOT

Post by Duckbites »

Good Morning

This is my first time with ANY sort of electronics. First time soldering, too. No comment is 'too basic' for me.

Parts list, check.
Instructions for V 1.2, matches the box.
Assembly through "Test the kit now by putting two good AA batteries into the holder" successful. Green light comes on automatically, blinks rhythmically. With a satisfied smile, I remove the batteries.

I finish the assembly. Batteries back in and my digital camera shows four (4) constant lights. I press the button. No change. In those few moments, the LED lights have gotten HOT. I pull the batteries.

I look at this forum. I have found these common questions which I will answer now.

Transistor Q5 is labeled 2907. Transistors Q1-4 are all labeled 2222A.

Resistor R5 has a red stripe, resistor R1 is orange. I know that is a mistake, but is that THE mistake?

Yes, I did attach the 6-pin ICSP header, long pins pointing UP. There is a "joined' solder (2 pins with one lump of solder) on the back of that pin.

So why are the lights hot enough to boil water?

Todd
Attachments
IMG_20130923_210535.jpg
IMG_20130923_210535.jpg (324.67 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
IMG_20130923_205947.jpg
IMG_20130923_205947.jpg (269.35 KiB) Viewed 1390 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: IR always on and HOT

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The resistor mixup is probably not the cause of the full-on condition. But it should be fixed to protect the red led from burning out. The short between the ICSP header pins is more serious. You need to remove the excess solder.

Sometimes you can do it by heating the joint and dragging the tip of the iron between the pins. But there is a lot there and you might need some solder-wick or a solder sucker. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Duckbites

Post by Duckbites »

Well, well, well and Huzzah! Fixed those two and lookie-lookie,all fixed.

Hot? Not any more.
What was once a steady beam is now a nice blinking light when seen through a digital camera.

Thank you. I can't wait to go to Best Buy tomorrow!

Duckbites

Post by Duckbites »

OK Went to Sams Club, 7 out of 12 turned off. Crossed the street to Target. 15 out of 24. My only 'complaint' is 75% is not 100%, but I knew that limitation when I bought the kit. Congratulations to me for successful completion and assembly. Congratulations to Adafruit for a good,easy and useful kit. Thanks for the assist on the troubleshooting.

Actual question, how do I 'upgrade' the unit? (meaning codes and or software) How often are new codes published?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

My only 'complaint' is 75% is not 100%
With mass shut-downs like that, the miss rate can be due to missing codes. But may also be due to ambient lighting conditions and/or non-optimal angle with respect to the IR receivers in the TVs.

With non-manufacturer-endorsed hacks like the TV-B-Gone, it is always a challenge to keep up with new models. The design notes for the kit describe how to reverse engineer the codes from a remote: http://learn.adafruit.com/tv-b-gone-kit/design-notes

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”