The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

Working on various TV-B-Gone Concealments, ideas welcome.

by Seanernet on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:59 pm

Bought the kit for the TV-B-Gone and I love it, but it's ugly to carry in the kit form. Found this flash memory case at radio shack for $2.99, figured I'd give it a try, hopefully to the average person it looks like a led flashlight. Works great walking around in the mall. Battery life is pretty good with 3 AAA's.

So, I couldn't rest having just one so I bought a bunch of parts and decided to try to make some smaller. Here is my first key fob version. This key fob is available at polycase.com I'm not happy with the button cell batteries as they don't last very long and the circuit doesn't want to run properly with less than 3v. I'm sure I can make the circuit smaller if needed to accommodate other ideas. I had fun making this one.

Anyways, any ideas you may have to improve what I've done would be appreciated. As soon as I get my 3mm led's in I am working on a ball cap version with a head activated switch. Should be fun at sports bars!

Also, I ordered some leds with 10 degree spread in hopes of extending the range even further, ideas on that would be cool too.

Sean
Last edited by Seanernet on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seanernet

Re: Working on various TV-B-Gone Concealments, ideas welcome

by caitsith2 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 am

(Post content removed, originally was a mirror of the above images.)
Last edited by caitsith2 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
caitsith2

by Seanernet on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:34 am

I spent some time testing my keyfob version and without the led protruding from the case, the aim must be exact, which is quite frustrating. I will move the led and test some more.
Seanernet

by caitsith2 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:33 am

I rigged up my own concealment. Most specifically, I used a Nintendo DS battery as the power source, (was going to use cell phone battery, but the replacement for it was 4 times as much as the Nintendo DS battery.)

Top and Side view of the TV-B-Gone kit.

TV-B-Gone kit inside its enclosure

The concealment here, is that it is inside a case that once held candies. The screw is what you push on to active the TV-B-Gone.

Like the dude that used his cellphone battery for a smaller TV-B-Gone kit form factor, The recharging process is similar, remove the electrical tape, and insert into DS for recharging.
caitsith2

by Seanernet on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:43 pm

I like the candy container idea. Have you thought of putting ir plastic in the front to conceal the leds and leave the plastic of the top solid with a button near the top?
Seanernet

by caitsith2 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

First off, is I would need to know where I can get IR plastic.

As for the top part, The screw is still present, but I have peeled back the sticker, stuck electrical tape underneath to cover the programming port, then stuck the sticker back in place, including the piece that was cut out for the programming port. After the label was stuck back in place, I took a sharp knife to cut off the excess pieces of electical tape, that stuck out.

----- EDIT ------

Now I thought about it, and now, a nut is mounted underneath with mounting tape, to act as the button, so the screw is done away with completely.

caitsith2

by Seanernet on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:28 am

That looks great, now for the ir plastic. I have searched high and low for the stuff and could never find it available for purchase. But, alas, I have acquired about 10 old remote controls from various products with different size ir plastic. Now the trick will be cutting and forming to the proper shape. I imagine a flea market would be a good source if you don't have any lying around.

Sean
Seanernet

by Seanernet on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Here are several examples I just extracted from several junk remotes. They also make a good source of ir leds, and buttons.

Email me if you want me to send some to you.

Sean
Seanernet

by crash893 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 pm

altoids can
crash893

by Seanernet on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:37 pm

I just bought a mini altoids can and a 9led flashlight to mod next. I'll post pics when I get done.
Seanernet

by maltman23 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:32 am

maltman23

by jhack on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Most PVC plastic is IR transparent, such as the black PVC used for many project boxes. (This is the same stuff car dashboards and interior trim is made from, which is why the metalwork underneath heats up so well from solar IR.) Simplest test is see if a TV remote works through the plastic.
jhack

by big93 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:35 pm

wow, that first one is awsome, but i have to bring up my idea again from separating the led's from the main module, so no pointing is requiered if your wearing the leds!

but these are great disguieses! i like the candy box one lol
big93

by I_am_bad_at_this on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 am

Inspired by somother fourm post...
ignore the tape...im just to lazy to expoxy it rite now, and also, the batter pack is because i couldnt find the cell phone battery charger and battery

I_am_bad_at_this

by maltman23 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:03 am

Mouser sells IR end-panels for some of their project boxes. To get a list of them, go to
http://www.mouser.com
and search for "ir endpanel"
maltman23