bahaha

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hamburgers

bahaha

Post by hamburgers »

...wandering over from the x0xb0x forums to applaud this little toy

10 minutes to build it, and now it's time to take it to best buy or a sports bar!

hooray :P

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Definitely have fun. My last time in walmart was shutting off their wall of TVs, and the thing is, they remained off for at least 2 hours, if not longer.

Seanernet

Post by Seanernet »

BANNED wrote:Definitely have fun. My last time in walmart was shutting off their wall of TVs, and the thing is, they remained off for at least 2 hours, if not longer.
Why is that do you think? I've noticed that every tv I've turned off so far, it's as if no one even noticed it.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

Seanernet wrote:
BANNED wrote:Definitely have fun. My last time in walmart was shutting off their wall of TVs, and the thing is, they remained off for at least 2 hours, if not longer.
Why is that do you think? I've noticed that every tv I've turned off so far, it's as if no one even noticed it.
i turned off the one at the coffee shop and nobody noticed or cared

i imagine it will be quite a different scenario when i turn off the departmental teleconferenced seminar

ho ho ho ho

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

It's been my experience (and I've had plenty!) that rarely does anyone notice when I turn a TV off. But, then again, I don't go to sports bars, which I'm told are fun exceptions.

Even if they love TV, people don't leave their homes to watch TV in public places. TVs in public places are just noise that we tend to (subconsciously) tune out. So, when the noise goes away, we aren't usually consciously aware, but we sure feel better.

The only people who tend to notice when a TV goes off are waiters and bartenders. For some reason they feel obliged to turn them back on, even though no one wants them on. I don't get it. No problem, though, 'cause you can always turn them right back off. :D

Mitch.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

gyro shoppe owner turned his TV back on at the request of an angry patron!

score

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Score. Hit 3 gas stations that each had a keno TV, and turned them off. (nobody seemed to even notice. (At one, they also had a TV for Texas Hold-em BANNED. (both BCLC lotto games.))

Also hit walmart, for whatever TVs were on. (half of them were off today, those ones definitely stayed off for at least 2 and a half hours, if not more.)

Then, eating out, the only people to really notice TVs going off, were the workers there. They got turned back on, I turned them off again shortly after. After a few times, one worker asked another, if these TVs were on Timers or something. For that place, I did show the workers what was turning the TVs off, and turned any of the TVs off, back on. (For an interesting stat, the main TVs I was turning off, was a Wall of 3, The 2 outside ones tied to one satellite receiver, and the middle one tied to another. In the on/off, they changed the channels on them Twice.) They had no idea who, until I showed them.

redclove

Post by redclove »

gonna walk by a HOOTERS to try it out, a perfect victim..

ogram

Post by ogram »

The local mall has big LCD screens hanging over the walkways and in the food court. Zap! And no one seems to notice 'cuz they seem to just stay off. It works from a long distance, too, if people don't get in the way.

Game stores are fun, where kids are trying out the Wii or Guitar Hero and the monitor suddenly turns off. The kids usually make a fast exit so they won't get blamed for breaking it, which is handy if you want to have a turn. The clerk at one store told a customer "these things overheat sometimes" to explain it.

The best, though, wasn't the TV dept. at any of the places in the mall (fun as that was!), but standing on my front porch and aiming it way across my lawn, across the street and through the uncurtained front window of my neighbor, and snapping off his 5-foot plasma screen several times during last night's championship football game! bwa-ha-ha!

stevemurphy

Post by stevemurphy »

I had a strange one in Wally-Mart the other day: I shut off a big screen TV and after a couple of seconds it turned itself back on. I wonder if it was in some kind of demo mode or something.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

ogram wrote: The best, though, wasn't the TV dept. at any of the places in the mall (fun as that was!), but standing on my front porch and aiming it way across my lawn, across the street and through the uncurtained front window of my neighbor, and snapping off his 5-foot plasma screen several times during last night's championship football game! bwa-ha-ha!
i've avoided doing this.... it may get your head bashed in if you're discovered--a high school friend's dad was beaten to death in a public restroom just for saying "the steelers suck." sports fanatics are BANNED unbalanced

picking on little kids playing wii, on the other hand, sounds absolutely fantastic

nutt318

Post by nutt318 »

SteveMurphy wrote:I had a strange one in Wally-Mart the other day: I shut off a big screen TV and after a couple of seconds it turned itself back on. I wonder if it was in some kind of demo mode or something.

I have noticed that mine will turn tv's on as well. I always make sure and point the tvbgone in another direction once it turns off.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”