Hack a MiniPOV3 for IR capture

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
opossum

Hack a MiniPOV3 for IR capture

Post by opossum »

A MiniPOV3 can be modified for IR capture using ordinary household items!

Here is a brief description of the mod...

- Connect pin 2 of the DE9 connector to pin 3 of the AVR. This will allow serial data to be sent to the PC

- Connect an 8 MHz resonator to pins 4, 10 and 5 of the AVR. The internal oscillator is not precise enough.

- Connect an ordinary IR LED to pins 7 (long lead) and 8 (short lead, flat side) of the AVR. An LED can emit *and* detect light.

Here is what it looks like:

- Enable external clock:
avrdude -p t2313 -c dasa -P COMx -U lfuse:w:0xCE:m

- Burn the firmware
avrdude -p t2313 -c dasa -P COMx -U flash:w:povcap.hex

- Run the software

Point the IR LED of the remote directly at the IR LED of the MiniPOV3 - they must be as close to each other as possible. Click the 'Capture' button and then press a key on the remote. The bottom red LED will flicker when IR is detected. If everything works right, a file named tvbg.c will be written with a C struct for use with the TV-B-Gone kit firmware.

No more begging for codes! Capture them yourself :)
Last edited by opossum on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Is the minipov3 modded IR scope capture device, with an IR LED fast enough to capture the 455Khz B&O remote codes?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Absolutely fantastic work oPossum! Just when I needed this too!

I really like this! The only thing is, how did you connect the AVR to the serial port, I didn't see that in the picture... Just with a jumper wire?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

!!!!! this is AWESOME!

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

Cool!
Can you share the C or assembly file? It would be great to modify the code to write the data to a serial eeprom to make it portable.

Dave

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

The eeprom only has 512 bytes, only enough to capture 51ms of data, not quite enough for every remote control protocol out there. For this application, you would have to add an external memory chip, ideally, at least 64KBs. (for 6550 ms of data capture. (10 bytes per ms.))

opossum

Post by opossum »

BANNED wrote:Is the minipov3 modded IR scope capture device, with an IR LED fast enough to capture the 455Khz B&O remote codes?
Yes! It is on the edge, but it works great.

opossum

Post by opossum »

magician13134 wrote:The only thing is, how did you connect the AVR to the serial port, I didn't see that in the picture... Just with a jumper wire?
Here is a picture of the front side. A hole was drilled to pass the wire from one side to the other.

opossum

Post by opossum »

ladyada wrote:!!!!! this is AWESOME!
!!!!! many THANKS!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

can you post what your firmware is doing? :)

opossum

Post by opossum »

Probedude wrote:Cool!
Can you share the C or assembly file? It would be great to modify the code to write the data to a serial eeprom to make it portable.

Dave
The links in the first post have been updated to zip files with source.

I made a few improvements too, so discard anything downloaded prior to this post.

opossum

Post by opossum »

ladyada wrote:can you post what your firmware is doing? :)
The theory is explained here. It is just an AVR port of the PIC based IR widget.

The primary design goal of the IR Widget was to make the circuit and firmware as simple as possible (PIC 10F series or 74HC series). There are better ways to do IR capture, but the circuit and firmware would be more complex.

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

BANNED wrote:The eeprom only has 512 bytes, only enough to capture 51ms of data, not quite enough for every remote control protocol out there. For this application, you would have to add an external memory chip, ideally, at least 64KBs. (for 6550 ms of data capture. (10 bytes per ms.))
Thanks but I was intending on using an external serial EEprom. Even so since that takes milliseconds of time to write it isn't likely fast enough, internal or external, to keep up with the data stream.
oPossum wrote:
The links in the first post have been updated to zip files with source.
Thanks!!
Dave

opossum

Post by opossum »

FRAM is much faster than SEEPROM

The data rate could easily be reduced by using a 4 bit count rather than the full 8 bit count. Increasing the sample period to 150 uS would drop it even lower.

So 1 byte per 300 uS (each byte will have two 4 bit counts) = 3.333 KBps

A 300 mS sample would require 1K of storage. The maximum carrirer frequency would be 100 kHz ( = 15 / .000150 ).

I think this would be practical and simple to implement.

mightysinetheta

Like a remote, but diffrent...

Post by mightysinetheta »

I'm working on extracting the IR signal from a system that I think (but have no way of verifying) is operating at a frequency of 11 MHz: thats what the clock is running at. Of course, it may be transmitting at a lower freq, but I cant tell. Would it even be feasible to try pulling the codes using the Minipov3 mod as it is, or should I up sampling frequency?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”