Green LED only flashing once

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DrRobb

Green LED only flashing once

Post by DrRobb »

Just finished my kit and during the testing phase I didn't realize that the green LED was supposed to continue flashing throughout the cycle. My LED flashes once and quits.. Examining the LED through a digital camera confirms that the IR LEDS also only flash once.. Is this a bad flash on the preprogrammed chip or something else? Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have good alkaline batteries?

hopperomatic

Single Flash Only

Post by hopperomatic »

I seem to be having the same problem... I think.

I get one green flash only when I hit the reset button. Checking the IR LEDs through a camera viewfinder confirms that they all flash only once, too.

Brand new batteries showing good strength on my MM.

Just to make sure, I've tried the device on 1/2 dozen U.S. TVs to no avail.

DrRobb

Post by DrRobb »

Update..

Put in new fresh batteries.. The first set was unused but old.. They showed full voltage, but must have been weak under load.. New batteries worked perfectly..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

great, thanks for the note. the tvbgone needs a lot of power, and if the battery voltage dips, it will reset.
good to hear you got it working
hopper can you try the same thing?

hopperomatic

oops!

Post by hopperomatic »

My bad. One of my old batteries snuck into my new bulk battery purchase pile.

The problem was, in fact, fixed by putting in fresh batteries.

What's the max voltage I can send to the kit? I see you've OK'd 4.5V, but how about 5V?

I've read your arguments against using 9V over AA here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/process.html
...but will I get more lifetime with the same footprint if I use a 9V with a 5V regulator (I have a bunch of these)? My dysfunctional AA combo was putting out 2.7V and it was resetting, so I'm inclined to go higher voltage accepting the inefficiencies that I'll get with a 9V and regulator, or is this more about mA output?

If I need to be schooled in electricity, please just send me a link instead of a reply :-)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

5V is the max. you will still get a lot more life from AA's than 9V, even without a boost converter. for max life and max distance, use 3 high quality alkalines AAs!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”