Sow how are they making one go 300ft plus?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

One thing to not in the schematic, is that he is taking 2 4.5 V AA packs, and tying them in parallel. This means twice the current is available for immediate draw from the batteries powering this version. Of course, if one uses NiCD or NiMH, then the voltage is 3.6, but likewise, the current is still doubled up. For high end AA NiMH, rated at 2500 mAh, you would end up with 3.6V, 5000 mAh.

Plus, if you arrange narrow/wide angle IR-LEDs just right, you could get a much longer line-of-sight range. Think of 40-20-10-20-10-10-20-10-20-40, or if you don't mind narrower angle, then 20-20-10-20-10-10-20-10-20-20. Finally, if you build this into a custom case, and extend wires from the IR-LEDs, then you could put them something like this.

Code: Select all

XX 
XOOX
XOOX
 XX
Where X is the 40/20, and the O is 20/10. Anything to get a nice high power IR beam down the middle, with some room for being slightly off.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

:D Excellent I still have enough parts to build one of these but getting a board made in the UK is to costly unless anybody knows different ?

opossum

Post by opossum »

magician13134 wrote:That's... that's... a... joke... right?!

FIVE MILE?! That's not possible! Are you serious?!?!
Everything on the Internet is True! (Except the moon landings)

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

jasonx wrote::D Excellent I still have enough parts to build one of these but getting a board made in the UK is to costly unless anybody knows different ?
Its not terribly different from the EHP actually. Looks like you can swap out the 2n4401 transistors for PN2222 (probably want the 1A variety), and then just wire 2x 3AA battery packs to the BATT 1 terminal of the EHP design. It seems there are a few more smoothing caps, but I think using 2x 4AA packs with NiCd/NiMH batteries would also do the trick, as NiCd/NiMH can put out higher current at once than alkaline, I believe. Other than that, I see no significant changes (though the said changes are somewhat significant on their own).

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

Yeah, not much difference between the EHP and my SHP (the EHP was based on my preliminary design). Using 8 AA batteries to power the emitters for either the EHP or the SHP would totally kick ass! AA batteries can deliver way more current than the 9v battery I use for the SHP. (You may be limiting the lifetime of the emitters, but emitters are only 14 cents each.)

Mitch.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

So if I were to hook up 8 AA to my EHP, would I just do two sets of 4... in parallel(?) attached to the one power input, or in series, or one to each? Thanks

RealRitzcracker

Post by RealRitzcracker »

Depends on what you want?

Series will cause only one direct path so if one doesn't work they all don't work or your going to have batterys charging batterys.

Parallel works the best cause it will bypass a dead or weak battery without any real problems.

You could do 8 in parallel
most common is 4 and 4 in parallel

But I would do

2 2 2 2 in parallel for to one power input.

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

I'd do 8 in series. Blast them!

opossum

Post by opossum »

>>> EHP Pro Turbo Deluxe Special Edition with Cheese <<<
  • 20 IR LEDs
  • 12 x AA batteries
  • 3000 Mile Range
Connect boards with 10 pin IDC cable. Place boards back to back with Cheese between.

EAGLE Files

opossum

Post by opossum »

magician13134 wrote:So if I were to hook up 8 AA to my EHP, would I just do two sets of 4... in parallel(?) attached to the one power input, or in series, or one to each? Thanks
Wire two 4xAA packs in parallel - black to black, red to red.

It is very important to use all identical batteries. Don't mix old with new, and don't mix brands or types. A weak battery in a series string will raise the internal resistance of the entire pack. It will enventually be exposed to reverse polarity and may rupture. When two packs or cells are used in parallel, the strongest will discharge in to the weaker and greatly reduce the shelf life.

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

oPossum: Are you using Eagle 5.0 already? I just tried opening the files in Eagle 4.16, and the program went and said 4.60 or later required.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

:shock: That has to be built.
can anybody recommend a pcb manufacturer in the UK or Europe ?

opossum

Post by opossum »

I am using EAGLE 5.0.

PCB Pool is in Ireland, Germany, and France.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

oPossum do you have the gerber files so I can get some quotes ?

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Jasonx: Grab the gerber files from http://BANNED.net/projects/tvbgone/t ... erbers.zip. These should be complete.

*.cmp = Top Copper
*.sol = Bottom Copper
*.stc = Top Soldermask
*.sts = Bottom Soldermask
*.plc = Top Silkscreen
*.pls = Bottom Silkscreen. (most likely not required.)
*.drd = NC Drill File. Tool and Aperture listings fully included, no seperate tool file required.
*.dim = Board Outline. (Some PCB manufactures require this file, others don't. Having this file, means I don't have to worry about going back to generate it, if the PCB manufacture I choose to use, requires this file to define the board outline.)

(Your X/Y board dimensions are 2.44 Inches by 1.7 Inches. (2440 mils by 1700 mils) or (61.976mm by 43.180mm))

Oh yeah, I will be going on a major power trip, when I decide to make this EHP Pro / EHP Boost board set, when money permits. Actually, if you have just the EHP board, The EHP Boost can be added to that design as well. (It would just be 8 IR LEDs on the normal EHP board, along with 4xAA power supply for that board, and Boost Board, with 2x3xAA for the boost power supply. (The boost board does not draw any existing power whatsoever from the main board.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”