parts necessary

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
biscuit495

parts necessary

Post by biscuit495 »

I am trying to build my own small tv b gone. I have the chip the oscillator 1 IR LED and a switch. I have the oscillator outside pins hooked up to AVR pins 2 and 3 then the middle to gnd. I have the switch from reset to ground and i have the LED positive to AVR pin 5 and negitive to ground. I hook power up and hit the switch but it does not work. Am i missing somthing? Do i have to have the ceramic capacitor? Thanks in advanced.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Well, firstly, you won't see anything. It's IR light, so you can test it with a camera to see if it's lighting up. Secondly, did you program the chip and burn the fuses properly? Also, I would try hooking the LED up to pin 6 instead of 5, on my chip, there's more power from that pin. And if you could, I would pick up a transistor for this, it'll make it so much better.

biscuit495

Post by biscuit495 »

I am using a preprogrammed chip from the kit and yes i did test it with a camera. I also have some transistors so i will use one of those too. Is the oscillator wired properly? What is burning the fuses?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

If it came with the kit, the fuses are burned properly. That just tells the chip to look for the 8MHz resonator on pins 2 & 3. The resonator sounds like it's wired properly. How about a picture of you board and/or a quick video of the LED output?

biscuit495

Post by biscuit495 »

I got it working it was just the connection on the bread board. Thanks for all the help!

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

No problem

biscuit495

Post by biscuit495 »

I have one more question. How do i program the chip without the buying a programmer? What pins on the parallel port go to what pins on the chip? Do i have to have a certain type of transistor for the IR led? b/c i got it working on a regular led but it wont work on the IR led.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”