avr programing ( target ) board

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasonx

Post by jasonx »

I had no idea what temperature the iron was set to it was turned right up but then I turned it down a little and got better results.
I have won a second hand laminator on ebay like this one http://www.pulsarprofx.com/PCB/a_Pages/ ... cator.html
maybe that will help

darus67

Post by darus67 »

Hand laminator?? :shock:
Ouch!
:lol:

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

I think I would have to flatten my hand first to get it in a laminator :D

I found this little tip somewhere might be useful

"After probably hundreds of toner-based PCBs from home, I have found one simple and quick step to assure a good toner transfer regardless of the paper used: clean the board with acetone and/or alcohol then dip a paper towel in some of your etchant and rub the surface of the board. After the surface is a dark brown, clean the surface again, then proceed with the usual transfer method. The microscopic pits in the surface from this step will grab the toner better than any other surface treatment I have used. After using this method, I cannot recall a single failed board even with a variety of glossy papers."

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I'm going to try that!

shadow

Post by shadow »

hey,

cool cool programmer, but i found a really easy alternative (which may not be the point for u). I wanted a programmer similar so i just made half the tv b gone, just no resistors (except the one to the red or green led), transistors, or ir leds. works perfectly.

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

sweet, someone should post a how to on how to make this from scratch.
Last edited by bladdo on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

Are you trying to make one on a proto board like this
That can be a bit confusing when I get home from work I will try and draw a diagram

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

jasonx wrote:Are you trying to make one on a proto board like this
That can be a bit confusing when I get home from work I will try and draw a diagram
yeah thats exactly what i'm going for, a diagram would be sweet thanks!

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

Ok first you will need some perf board like these

Strip board is no good

solder your components as shown here noting the correct layout for the programming socket and the avr socket
the capacitor and resonator have no polarity

Now with the parts soldered and the board flipped over just join the dots to each other with some small wire
the 4 pins at the top of the picture can be bridged together using the cut off leg of a previously used component like a led or resistor

just follow the pictures joining up the dots

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

That should be it please correct me if I messed up

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

thanks a ton man, im definatly try this out when i get the time/parts(using parts of my 1st attempt at tvbg, completely messed up board - traces killed and such..), only thing that will be a hassle is desoldering it all, im not sure though, i might have to order some parts of mouser anyway cause I broke one lead on my oscilattor and it'd probably near impossible to solder(anyone know of something that uses an 8mhz oscilator i could salvage out of?).

modbom

USB TinyISP alone not sufficient??

Post by modbom »

I just made 2 tvbgones and will be making the tinyisp tomorrow with the hopes of uploading more IR codes. I was under the impression that I could hook the TinyISP directly to the TVBgone and just push the new codes. Do I need a programmer board as well? Obviously I'm totally new to this. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Thanks to the ISP header on the TV-B-Gone, no target board is needed. Just plug it into the 10pin header, find the compressed code here on the forum, and upload away

modbom

Post by modbom »

awesome. Thanks.
I have read some mentions of not populating the TVBGone board completely prior to uploading (no 47ohm resistors?) What parts do I need to have on there. Obviously the microcontroller and the 10pin header are needed but what else and what needs to be left off?
Thanks again.

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

For a target board, Microcontroller socket, 10 pin IDC header, 8Mhz Oscillator, bypass caps, and power supply. (Unless the USBTinyISP is providing the power.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”