Problem: IR Leds stay on, heating up

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kleinhenz

Problem: IR Leds stay on, heating up

Post by kleinhenz »

Hi,

I have put together a stock tvbg kit (1.1) and it worked like a charm. I then flashed it with the EU11 firmware from BANNED. This also worked, but I noticed that the IR leds are blinking much brighter and (the actual problem) two of the leds stay on after the cycle is completed. The activity led goes dark after the cycle, but the IR leds stay on.

The leds are somewhat heating up then..so much that you can clearly feel them getting hot by touching the wires.

Any suggestions? I didn't try to reflash the original firmware yet, but I suppose the hardware is ok given that it had worked as expected before flashing.

-- Michael.

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

try putting the original firmware on it again and see if it still gets hot.

kleinhenz

Post by kleinhenz »

Ok, I flashed back the original. Worked flawlessly.

Flashed back the custom version (tvbgone_eu.hex, md5sum c7b3a3be863d680444b0323356b70cb2) and it breaks and gets hot.

After playing around a while, it seems to me that something is completely messed up, the sequence of blinks is rather short and at the end, two or all four IR leds are lit, heating up the whole thing until you can't touch the leds anymore. I suppose this will destroy the leds any second.

Any ideas?

-- Michael

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

looks like the BANNED code doesnt do the brownout-detect fix. in -theory- i am going to check it out and fix it, but ive been swamped :(

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

THe brownout fix should be in http://BANNED.net/projects/tvbgone/tvbgone_1.1.zip and http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgo ... simple.rar (ladyada, these are the versions to be used in terms of offering the firmware options.)

kleinhenz

Post by kleinhenz »

I used the full version and double checked the md5, it's the precompiled tvbgone_eu.hex in tvbgone_1.1.zip.

I tried the simple version and this one works! This problem seems to only affect the full firmware.

I then recompiled the full one from source with the gcc from Ubuntu Hardy (4.2.2) which results in a different hex file (md5 471804b7f68a880fe1f453cffdced7ad). This one works better, the leds stay off after the cycle, but the cycle itself seems different to me compared with the simple version (judging from the view thru my digicam). Leds stay on longer and seem to "fade", especially in the first 10 seconds.

-- Michael

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”