Channel changing TV-B-GONE?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
werebox3333

Channel changing TV-B-GONE?

Post by werebox3333 »

Everyone knows when you press some buttons on a remote, it will send a signal to the TV telling the TV to change the channel or do whatever. So, I was wondering if there could be a way to use a separate IC chip to program it to change channels on certain TVs. Like to set one main channel to change to on certain TVs. I think this is possible, but I haven't gotten a USBasp yet to try it out.

My only worry is this-how would I go about getting these remote channel codes? And would I need a new circuit with a different resonator?

Franklin97355

Re: Channel changing TV-B-GONE?

Post by Franklin97355 »

I think the TV-B-GONE could do that. You would have to find a list of codes or build a IR receiver that would read the codes from a remote.

werebox3333

Post by werebox3333 »

Alright, many thanks! I will order a USBasp soon and try this!

ghpk

Post by ghpk »

its technically possible but will not have the fun and utility which original TV-B-Gone gives, reasons:-

most channels are now Digital and thru Set-Top-Box(STB) based receivers only, so pointing would need to be done towards the STB which
in my experience is difficult to find in case you are at public place.

Most TV dealer outlet or a MART use one STB with HDMI-Multipliers to connect to 10's of TV's and I've seen many stores where
these STB's are hidden behind the wooden wall/structure they mount the T.V.'s on .
so it would become next to impossible to target them.

Then, another bottle neck would be widely different STB IR codes used by these DTH/Cable providers, and these are different in each country.
and these remotes are different and with each new STB hardware version, every region would have its own provider and so on,
so too much of a fuss for a device which would fail in very next place you are gonna try it.

werebox3333

Post by werebox3333 »

This is a wonderful insight. Yeah, whilst researching I ran into the STBs. But, apparently with careful programming you can make it work. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”