Kit not functioning and overheating - help?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SRRH

Kit not functioning and overheating - help?

Post by SRRH »

Hi all,

I've just finished assembling the kit as per the instructions - unfortunately when I tried to turn it on it quickly becomes very hot to the touch and it doesn't work.
Can't see any obvious shorts although was made using chunky solder as it's all we have in the lab...

This is the second of two kits that I've assembled - had the first for over two years with no problems so not sure what's going on...

This is a present for Fathers' Day so any advice greatly appreciated.

Please bear in mind I've absolutely no experience with engineering, coding and/or electronics (it's not that kind of lab) so idiot-friendly language please.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Kit not functioning and overheating - help?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please post some photos of the front and back of the board and we'll see if we can spot any problems.

SRRH

Post by SRRH »

Fixed it - had the chip in the wrong way. Still have to test on a TV but green light blinking and no longer overheating. Many thanks for your response, will come back if it's not firing correctly.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That would do it! If the light is blinking, that is a good sign that the processor is still functioning.

Cockerham

Post by Cockerham »

I also had an overheating chip and it turned out it was in backward. The video instructions were clear that I should line up the notch in the socket with the dot on the chip, but that doesn't work if the socket itself is on backwards.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”